Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question about adoption app.

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. I come here often to read, but finally decided to post a question of my own.

My family is trying to adopt a dog. We have adopted a few others. I really want to adopt this dog and she is so cute that I know their will be a lot of apps for her. I would like help from anyone- especially those who work at rescue groups an answering a few questions.

One of the questions is- How long do you plan on keeping the dog?
    Well, our answer is forever! But obviously we can't keep a dog forever, someone has to die eventually. What is the best way to say this? I don't want to sound childish, but writing forever.

Another question is- Under what circumstances would you get rid of the dog?

We would never get rid of an animal. No matter what they do. We would work with them and work through and deal w/ what ever problem comes up. Now if Aliens landed and said we are going to blow up the whole planet and kill all of civilization if you don't hand over your dog then MAYBE I would considerate it. But being serious there really is no reason we would give up our dog. Once they come to live w/ us they are going to live w/ us forever. I am not sure how I should word that answer.

Why do you want this dog?

We want her because she a breed that we love. She is adorable. We have only had a puppy once and it was when I was very young. Our first dog was from a breeder. All of our dogs since then have been stray or rescue dogs. I really want a puppy w/ out going to a breeder to get one. All of our other dogs have been older and set in their ways. It is hard to change them when they have had troubled past. I would love a dog that is young and she can be socialized and learn to get along w/ other dogs outside of our house.

Really I want any dog. I love all dogs. So why do I want this dog in particular because she is cute and little.

The app ask Specifically, what will be the dog's living situation? (Ex: Run of House, Basement, outside, kennel, crated)

Is run of the house a bad answer? In the beginning dog will probably be crated because she is a puppy, but as she gets older she will be able to go anywhere in the house that she wants. That is how our other dogs live. Should I say -She will probably be crated while she is young, but as she gets older and more comfortable in the house she will have the run of the house?

Are all other pets current of all vaccinations?

This can be a touchy subject. I know that many people have different views on what vaccines are neccesary. We have a dog that is 19 and there a vaccines that he does not get. My family and vet decided together that was the best choice. The vaccines could do more harm than good for our dog. So do I answer the question "NO" and then explain our sitution. I don't want to put "yes" and they call the vet and find out we are lying.

Any help on how to answer these questions would be great. I want to get the app. in soon so we can be considered. Thank you everyone for all your help.

hi and pleased to meet you :)

we ask that all vaccinations are kept up to date but as for all the other answers just let them come from the heart.
    you will be asked the questions again at your appointment anyway :)

all the best :)

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy
    hi and pleased to meet you :)

we ask that all vaccinations are kept up to date but as for all the other answers just let them come from the heart.
    you will be asked the questions again at your appointment anyway :)

all the best :)
    When you say
    we ask that all vaccinations are kept up to date
    do you mean that is questions that all rescue groups ask or that is something that you require from people who want to adopt?

If this is something that you require do you automaticlly deny anyone who does not vacination an animal-even under vet recomendation?

Thanks for the reply Smiffy.

Your answers are fine. Don't try to second guess the questions - just answer completely from your heart and exactly what you mean..

:) to be perfectly frank ive never had a vet recommend not to vaccinate and you would need to prove youve vaccinated if you want to join a training club or use a boarding kennels.
    as far as i know weve never had a new home refuse to vaccinate.

:) to be perfectly frank ive never had a vet recommend not to vaccinate and you would need to prove youve vaccinated if you want to join a training club or use a boarding kennels.
    as far as i know weve never had a new home refuse to vaccinate.
    I work in a vets office and many of the vets that work their do not vaccinate the cats and dogs for certain things. Vaccinations are a huge money maker. People think they are a must and come in every year and pay a lot of money to have their animals vaccinated. Just like vets push declawing cats. Most of us know declawing a cat is a bad idea, but it is still pushed by vets. Many of the people I work with at my vet don't declaw their cat, but that is a totally different subject. Our dog is 19 almost 20 and is VERY healthy, so obviously we are doing something right. He goes twice a year for a checkup.

We are not refusing to vaccinate. We have been told by our vet that it would probably be a bad idea and not good for a 20 year old dogs health. I am saying that not every vaccine is necessary. There are many studies that show they are unnecessary and can cause more harm than good. We use to think lobotomies were a way to beat drug addictions, but we now no removing a part of your brain is a bad idea.

I understand that if you want to board your animals you have to vaccinate, but we don't board our animals. I am not totally against vaccinations, but a certain age they can to more harm than good. My aunts vet also recommend that her 17 year old cat not be vaccinated, because they are unnecessary. It is not uncommon as you think. There are many studies that show rabies vaccine tremendously lowers the immune system, which makes the animals more vulnerable to other diseases.

I hope this post does not sound too defenses, but it has started to become a touchy subject for me.

Thanks everyone for your help.

well thats it,if you were to put forward your well thought out argument with my boss she would see that your speaking from experiance and want to discuss it some more with you but i must add here that not all rescue bosses are like my boss as i found out rather bitterly last week.

as you mentioned cats i had never heard that but im a dog person,although i see no need for a dew claw its there for a reason and i hate to see them removed,i am also a member of the anti docking alliance.
    all the best to you :D

well thats it,if you were to put forward your well thought out argument with my boss she would see that your speaking from experiance and want to discuss it some more with you but i must add here that not all rescue bosses are like my boss as i found out rather bitterly last week.

as you mentioned cats i had never heard that but im a dog person,although i see no need for a dew claw its there for a reason and i hate to see them removed,i am also a member of the anti docking alliance.
    all the best to you :D
    Thanks for your insight smiffy! :D