Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Sick Horse

Sick Horse

Hi,
    I have a 25 year old horse that has a chronic diarrhea problem. I have tried putting her on senior feed and some vitamins but that didn't help that much. I think she may have some type of colon disease. If you have an information on this I would really be interested.
    Thanks
    Kelly

Hi Kelly,
    have you discussed this with your vet?
    What does s/he think?

Have you tried feeding probiotics (AKA beneficial bacteria)? Many older horses have reduced gut function due to reduced beneficial bacteria that leads to im-properly digested food which lead to the runs.

the problem is caused be not enough bacteria in the stomach, try a products called Probias, if the doesn't work call the vet

Hatchling
    My sister has a 30 yr old Newfoundland Pony. We had problems with diareah for about 6 months last year. Probiotics helped alot. Have him tested for parasites as well. We do regular worming, however his had to be readjusted because our normal schedule wasn't working for him. We almost lost him to colic because of this. At the moment he's on senior feed supliments(Focus Senior), proboitics, and his usual hay, soaked beet pulp and grain ( rice grain with a very little sweet feed, adjusted due to his Cushings) He's very comfortable, has lots of energy, NO arthritis!!!,a shiny coat and no diareah. He still hasnt gained as much weight as we would like, but the vet said that at his age, he might never get as conditioned as he once was. GOOD LUCK!