Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Soft White frogs - HELP!!!!!!

Hi,
    I have a mare that has dark hooves, but is having trouble with her front feet. The frogs have become soft and white. Has anyone else ever seen this before? Do you know where I can find more inforamtion about this? Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!
    Val

I would speek with your blacksmith right away, changes in a horses frog can be very dangerous in deed. Sometimes its a simple problem like being out in the wet that seems to come around this time, but it maybe more serious, either way it should be looked at immediatly and discussed with a professional.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I have spoken with my farrier, who has not seen anything like this before. I have also had the Vet and he's not sure what it is either. The Vet will try treating it, but with not knowing what it is and what caused it how do I know it won't be an ongoing issue? I've been struggling with this for about a year and have been through 4 different Vets. One thought it was thrush but treatment for tht didn't resolve it. Another one didn't know, but had me use a drying agent but that didn't resolve it. Another one though it might be thrush and had me try something different than the other Vet used but that didn't resolve it. The last Vet cut out the affected area and said it would grow back normal but that too hasn't resolved it. I really think I need to find out what it is and what is causing it to get to the root of the problem. Have you seen anything like this before?
    Thanks for your help.
    Val

I can try to help, but I am not a qualified vet that is for sure. Does the hoof have any smell to it, thrush normally stinks to the high heavens, but so do other problems. Is there any discharge, bleeding or seeping from the frog. Is the frog growing any faster or slower then is normal, are you finding your trimming the frog alot? Are there any other ailements on the hoof. If you could post a small image of the hoof, clean so it is visible, that may help as well. I will try to guild you are your vet/blacksmith in a direction they had not considered.

Also, if there is any swelling or heat in the legs, anything out of the ordinary at all.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

It does sound like white line, but a vet and farrier would immediately know that that is...
    In searching the web, I found this:
    http://www.horsekeeping.com/hoof_car...gasket_pad.htm

...can not recommend it...just came across it.