Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Costco - Kirkland Lamb and rice Dog food.

It looks pretty good and $17.99 for 40 pounds. What do you think?

Kirkland Brand lamb and rice Ingredients:

Lamb, Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, white rice, egg product, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocoperols and Vitamin E), beet pulp, potatoes, fishmeal, flaxseed, natural flavor, millet, brewers dried yeast, carrots, peas, choline chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, taurine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, copper proteninate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteniate, manganese oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfate (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein 23% minimum
    Crude Fat 14% minimum
    Crude Fiber 4% maximum
    Moisture 10% maximum
    Zinc 200mg/kg minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg minimum
    Vitamin A 15000 IU/KG minimum
    Omega-6 fatty acids 2.2% minimum
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.4 % minimum
    Glucosamine HCl not less than 300 mg/kg
    Chondroitin sulfate not less than 100 mg/kg

I never heard of this, but this DOES look pretty darn good!

The Chicken and rice looks good too:

The list of ingredients is as follows:

chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin e), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim mild, cranberry powder, potassium shloride, salt, sholine chloride, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothanate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vit. B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Wow. The ingredients, the order, etc, really sound good!
    I never heard of Kirkland...

Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?

Kirkland is the COSTCO brand name. The dog food is made by diamond but the formula is Costco's proprietary blend. The regular "Diamond product" may be similar but it is clearly not the same quality.

I WOULD AGREE IF EVERYTHING IN THE FOOD IS AS STATED AND IN ORDER...VERY GOOD BUY,BUT I am skeptical because from a profit/marketing perspective this brand should be highly marketable and show cased at that price and yet that is not the case it appears.
    Your dogs behavior is but a reflection of your standard. If you treat your dog like a human it will treat you like a dog.

Bob2,

I have to believe in Costco. This is a good company that has no need to lie or sell an inferior product.

I was told by a behaviorist that Costco had very good food, but since I don't have a Costco, he didn't go into detail. He did say that the Diamond Lamb & Rice variety is very good with one stipulation: feed at the lower end of the recommended range for how much to feed your dog If Costco is rebranding Diamond then it may be good.

I believe that Diamond makes the product for Costco using Costco's sprcifications. When I did my research originally there were no Diamond products with the same ingredient list.

New to the forum and I saw the posts about Kirkland Lamb & Rice dog food...I have to jump on board and recommend this food. We have 11 Australian Shepherds & 3 Great Pyrs. They, all all our puppies when we have any, are on Kirkland L & R and have been for years. The dogs are all very healthy and love their food! I've tried many other foods over the past 25 years but this is the best we've found! Highly recommend it to everyone I meet!
    I've been told that Diamond, in the USA, is "nearly" the same product if there is no Costco available.
    Aussies Always...
    Jeni Gallichan, Mikatura Stockdogs & Web Design
    (Australian Shepherds & Great Pyrenees)
    "Hard workin' dogs for hard workin' people!"
    VISIT US AT: [url]http://www.mikatura.com[/url]