Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Jack Russell Puppy - housebreaking issues

I have a 5 month old Jack Russell puppy that will not give me any indication that he needs to go outside to relieve himself. I've tried crate training, but he will poop and pee in the crate without hesitation. I've also tried using puppy pads but he will go beside the pads. Should I be concerned or is this somewhat normal for this breed or sex to be difficult w/ housebreaking? I have an older female Jack Russell that I trained w/out any problems, so I am at a loss. HELP!!!

How big is the crate? If it is too large the puppy will go in a corner and stay at the other end until let out.

Other than reevaluating the crate, take your puppy out often. Every two hours should be good and stay outdoors till she potty's. Encourage her to potty and treat her after she does go.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Thank you

Thanks for the advice...I've tried blocking off a section of the crate to make it smaller, but he still does his business...it might still be too large of an area.

My crate came with an extra peice to make the crate smaller. If your's did not come with one perhaps you should invest in a different brand.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child