Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Crate training new puppy

My wife and I will be getting our new yellow lab puppy on Nov. 12th. We already have a 3 year old black lab who was crate trained. We plan on crate training the puppy and I am wondering if anyone else has done this with a second dog in the house. The 3 year old dog has run of the house with no problem even when we are gone. Should we put the puppy in her crate and keep her in another room or would it be allright to allow the 3 year old to go around the crate?

Thanks for the help in advance

As long as the three year old is not aggressive toward the puppy when it is in the cage (biting or attacking the cage) then they will be fine together and in fact they will both probably very much enjoy the other's company!

Thanks alot. We hoped that we wouldn't have any problems with that. I'm pretty sure the 3 year old is going to enjoy having a playmate. She loves other dogs and hopefully it will stay the same.

I personally wouldn't let the puppy free when your not there. Especially since he might not be toilet trained. And does he know all the rules? That leather couch looks like a nice toy.

And if you plan to really train your puppy, leaving the two dogs together all the time may come back to bite you, since he may develop a better relationship with your older dog, than with you.

But that's up to you. :)

all my dogs have their own crates.its their own personal space.they all go in each others during the day but when i go out or at bed time they go to their own.

i might come back and add to this but i wanted to chip in. im all bogged down today -headache and sniffles :(