Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

problems on leash

Hi,
    Would like some advice. I have a 6 year old (we think) staffi cross that we got from the pound 3 years ago. She had a history of abuse which resulted in fear aggression but we worked with her and she has truly come a long way.

The one thing we can't seem to get right is her behaviour on a leash. She goes bananas when she sees other dogs and she is leashed. She will crouch down in "hunting mode" as soon as she sees them then start barking/snarling/jumping as soon as the other gets close. Trainers have told me "stay relaxed and leave the leash slack" -- not easy to do when she's tearing away, and to "keep her distracted when another dog approaches"-- haven't been able to find a way to distract her yet!

The funny thing is, if we are at the beach (her absolute favorite place) NOTHING can distract her from the water - not dogs, not other people. She's totally fine and doesn't care about other dogs.

We live in a leash-law community and seeing as she is part staffi (a breed very much under scrutiny here), letting her meet other dogs off leash is out of the question. Not too many people here obey the leash laws, so I am constantly faced with dogs running up to mine (and mine have been attacked a few times while on leash).

Any suggestions on how to work on this problem with her?
    Thanks for any help...
    CC

Leash excitement

Sounds like you are working well on the problem. My dog would go see everyone she passed and would pull terribly when I got her.

I would take little treats EVERYWHERE with me. (I like small pieces of hot dogs)

I would walk and randomly make her down or sit. Treat.

Then I would make her Down-stay. treat. Treat. Treat. Do this until you can get her to stay until you call her. Treat again. You now have the down-stay.

Then when approached by another person or dog, I would get her to lay down or sit well before they get there. Treat. Gradually, she will start to lay down before folks get there because she knows she will get a reward.

If my dog decides she is going to greet someone before I tell her it is OK, I simply apologize, explain that she is not allowed to do that, nd she can not see them this time, and walk past. It is weird and unsocial at first, but works pretty quicky.

Good luck.

Check out the "Nothing in Life is Free" type training mentality.