Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryclair
    Well, it just seems to me though that any food that has a shelf life of months and months....well, isn't that just downright WEIRD? I mean unless it is canned, it has to be PACKED with preservatives or other agents to make it last and THAT is the main problem I have with a lot of foods. It is weird that we do not refrigerate foods and can leave them out for months and they are ok. Is that really "food" or some chemical by-product of food. I dunno...but it is "food for thought".
    lol. Yes Kerry it may be weird. You know a twinkie lasts 7 years. I still eat them though... :wink:

I'm not saying go buy the cheapest brand you can find. I believe personsonally Ol Roy should go out of business. We fed that and had dogs that couldn't hold themselves until we switched foods.

But brands like Purina, Science Diet, Iams, ect..
    I've never had problems with them. I know each dog handles them differently so the dog should sample them all. But really all those preservatives aren't that bad or else we would be dead ourselves long before we meet our maker. :roll:
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

I think one of the other things though to consider is not just if your dog is doing well on a certain food - but what his future holds for him. When tons of dogs start turning up with various cancers and other issues, yet on the "good" food they don't, it should give us pause to think about that too.

I think one of the other things though to consider is not just if your dog is doing well on a certain food - but what his future holds for him. When tons of dogs start turning up with various cancers and other issues, yet on the "good" food they don't, it should give us pause to think about that too.
    Yes that is true. But don't you think that if there were considerable amounts of dogs dying from certain brands of food that the vet would alert us? I've heard of only one or two dogs that were affected by Science Diet. Both of them most likely had other conditions that contributed to it.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Things with dogs are not regulated like with humans.
    I have had a dog with cancer, I was never asked what I was feeding him.
    I have had a dog with a thyroid condition, I was never asked what i was feeding him.

In other words, how often when your dog is diagnosed with an illness are you asked what you are feeding and is it recorded? And if it was, then what? Is your vet sending all this data somewhere to be collected and analyzed?

Nope.

So really, until THAT starts happening, we don't really know. We can tell SOME things from these types of boards and SOME thins by large kennels, rescues or shelters and their experiences...but all in all ther is no national data statistic collector that is giving us this information or collecting any such data.

Maybe it is time we start!

Things with dogs are not regulated like with humans.
    I have had a dog with cancer, I was never asked what I was feeding him.
    I have had a dog with a thyroid condition, I was never asked what i was feeding him.

In other words, how often when your dog is diagnosed with an illness are you asked what you are feeding and is it recorded? And if it was, then what? Is your vet sending all this data somewhere to be collected and analyzed?

Nope.

So really, until THAT starts happening, we don't really know. We can tell SOME things from these types of boards and SOME thins by large kennels, rescues or shelters and their experiences...but all in all ther is no national data statistic collector that is giving us this information or collecting any such data.

Maybe it is time we start!
    I agree that it should be collected. But if enough vets start seeing similarities then I would think they would start talking. And I'm asked what I feed my dog almost every time I go in. :wink:
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Dog food, oh, no....not Dog Food!!!

Hi there, new to this board, but definitely not new to the dog food dilemma. *sigh* I have been searching for a new food recently, not because I am not happy with my current dog food (Innova Sr dry), which I think is excellent, but because it's getting quite pricey.....and because I have to wonder if they don't get bored with the same ol' same ol' after a while.

I have to admit, I have become a pet food snob :) ; but not really intentionally. Years ago when my dog was still relatively young (only about 8 or 9.....she's now about 15 but mostly you'd never know it), a local pet store suggested to my mom to try the Innova. The dog loved it and she still eats it. But a 16.5 bag costs me right about $29 incl. tax, and now it's seriously out of my way to get food.

Now, I can't bring myself to feed the dog anything with by-products or anything like that; I wouldn't want to eat that nasty stuff (ewwww), and so I don't want to feed it to the dogs either.

SOOOooooo, now my dilemma is what to change to that's a little more affordable, but equally as nutritious as what they are getting now. In looking around there's A LOT of conflicting information about what's good and what isn't, so I definitely agree with what you guys have been saying -- but other than asking the vet who either have very biased opinions or "just any old thing" opinions, I don't know where else to look to make an informed decision about what I feed my babies.

They do love their fruit and veggies, though....apples and strawberries, especially -- just not in excess. :)

Well, I appreciate very much that list above of "the Good, the OK, and the Bad dog foods". So, I wanted to thank you.

I've fed Eukanuba for years, but was starting to wonder about their quality when P & G bought them. That's when I switched to Life's Abundance, it comes in the mail regularly on my auto ship, and it smells fantastic. I can highly recommend it, my Shelties and Chihuahuas look great and have no coat or stool issues at all. Also, they really love it. They were picking it out when I first mixed it with Eukanuba, and leaving the other!

In the Winter I add Hot Water to it, so it's toasty. I always free feed, shelties are nibblers and so are my Chis. And they never pig out, they just eat enough. It's 26 % protein, and that is just perfect.

Of course it's not cheap, and I have 8 dogs too, but neither are the vet bills when their nutritional needs are not met. So, I opt for prevention.

Thanks for reading,
    Mandy

Life's Abundance dog food

Hi, Mandy

Do you like the Life's Abundance? What's the cost like for the amount of food per bag (or shipment, however it comes to you....a break down?)

I have looked at that as well in an effort to find an alternative for my dogs' food.

Thanks!
    Amanda

Life's Abundance

Hi Amanda,
    Well, it's not cheap, that's all I know. I'm on of the lucky people who gets to be a stay at home Dog Mom and buy what ever I think is best for all my dogs. I think it's cheaper on their Auto Ship plan too.

But either way, it's worth it too me.

Mandy

I feed my boxers Nutro Natural Choice lamb and rice because they seem to do the best on it. It makes their coat shiny and soft and their stools are not too mushy, but not too hard. I've tried other brands, but they just had dry coats and mushy stools.

Corn dries out the skin and coat because digesting it creates higher metabolic heat than digesting rice.

I think if your animal is doing well, that's all that counts. When I was a kid we fed our cat the very cheapest grocery store canned cat food mixed with Purina Cat Chow. That cat lived for 19 years. I doubt anyone could argue that her cheap grocery store diet was unhealthy for her.

As for cancer risks, those are exceedingly difficult to track down. What contaminants are in the air your pet breathes? Have they ever walked across a lawn with pesticides on it? Do you live in an industrial city? Are there heavy metals in your drinking water? What kind of carpet is in your house? What kind of seats are in your car? It is very difficult to identify a cause of cancer. It is often presumptuous to state that a certain ingredient or food "causes" cancer. If a specific preservative or other chemical ingredient is listed on a dog food label (most likely not), you could go to the EPA's website and look up thier list of "inert" ingredients in pesticides (many of which are also food and household product additives). They catagorize the inerts by the amount of research done on them and the identified risk. Chances are though, that you will get insufficient information off the dog food lable to be able to do this.

Like most folks have said, keep an eye on your pet and see how they are doing on a particular food. If they are well and you are happy, great. But be a wise consumer and don't get duped into believing you are necessarily providing a healthier diet just because it is more expensive. (It might be a "healthy" food, but your pet doesn't do as well on it).
    In Spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.