Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny Horse

Skinny Horse

I have a 4 year old APHA stud that I just can't keep weight on. I've tried feeding him all sort of things form lowering the % of grain he gets to raising it to 16% and even tried mare and foal pellets. I also have added oats, alfalfa pellets and a couple other things (can't remeber what they where). This has been goin on since I bought him as a yearling, he was under wight then but he put some on where he was looking good and then he started to loose it again. I've had the vet check him and he couldn't find anything wrong. He's on a good worming program. He's been on sand clear, he came from a very sandy place and he ate sand like if it was food. I've tried weight builder and for the first time it didn't work. I also had him on solid alfalfa hay for a while and it didn't help. He's not being ridden. He dosn't run up and down the fence line or have anyother studdish behaviors that would cuase him being so skinny. This battle has been going on for 3 years and I just can't seem to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry, I don't know what to suggest here except maybe his system needs to be cleaned out from all that sand. I understand sand can be extremely dangerous to a horse digestive system...

Keep us posted..

Wow... I know some horses are hard keepers, but yours sounds exceptionally hard...
    Have you tried moistening the food? Making a Mush? Adding bread and apples and all kinds of goodies to the mix.?
    Try confining him in a smaller stall for a while so he doesn't run around and burn off the calories. Just because you don't see him running, doesn't mean he's not... :)
    Hmmm...
    I will ask a friend of mine who is an expert, and see if she has some suggestions.
    I'll post later with what she said... :)
    OUR FAMILY: 3 Humans, 3 Ferrets, 2 Cockatiels, 1 Dog & 37 Fish

Oh, also, you might want to have his teeth looked at... They might need some work... We had a horse at the ranch that lost a LOT of weight, because she couldn't chew her food properly... Contrary to popular belief, it's not only OLD horses that have Dental issues... Gypsie was only 3-4 years old, and a tiny little thing....
    The Owner of the ranch called a Vet, and when he came out to file her teeth and gave her a tranqualizer shot, she was so weak, that she died at the hitching post.... It was Very sad....
    OUR FAMILY: 3 Humans, 3 Ferrets, 2 Cockatiels, 1 Dog & 37 Fish

beet pulp

have you tried beet pulp? It was the only thing that worked on a very old, very skinny quarter pony I cared for once. It is best to soak it in lots of water for a few hours first. That and feed him lots of roughage. Good Luck!

What kind of wormer are you using? Does he lose it right after being wormed? Beware of certain wormers, if they correspond, around here our nutritionist is currently treating hundreds of horses classified as quest gel horses because of the deadly reaction they have, like kids to peanuts. Let us know how its going. If it is the quest then you'll need to change his food to hifat and fiber feed, it digests diffrently and works at putting weight back on quest horses when nothing else works.

ill start with wormer

MOXIDECTIN is expected to cause physiological problems ina health horse at 5 times the effective dose. meaning if you give your horse 5 times the recommended dose you can expect to see prob. or the horse die. MOXIDECTIN is the least safe of any commercial wormer. there are reports of it killing horses who were in marginal condition, undernourished and/ or alittle weak, also foals.

IVERMECTIN ( zimecterin, equalan, rotectin1, euimectrin, invermin,ect) is not expected to cause problems until 60 times the effective dose given.

OXIBENDAZOLE (anthelcide eq and others) is not expected to cause problems until 60 times the effective doseis given

FENBENDAZOLE (Panacur, safeguard) may cause problems at over 100-200 times the effective dose, although apparently when testingfor side effects from fenbendazole, the researchers had difficulty producing any problems at all at any amout of OD

PYRANTEL PAMOATE( strongid p, strongid t rotectin 2) is safe for healthy horse at up to 20 times the effective dose

QUEST clames to kill bot larvae, encysted (small strongyle larvae) But FENBENDAZOLE givenat double dose to the horses weight for 5 days in a row will also kill encysted and is much safer for your horse. As for botts IVERMECTIN does a great job and is much safer then MOXIDECTIN.

INVERMECTIN kills 34 parasited species & stages 6 bot species

MOXIDECTIN kills 22 parasited species & stages 2 bot species

PYRANTEL PAMOATE kills 6 parasited species & stages

OXIBENDAZOLE kills 7-12 parasited species & stages, depending on brand

FENBENDAZOLE kills 5 parasited species & stages

Remember to change Meds not brand names INVERMECTIN, MOXIDECTIN kill one way, PYRANTEL PAMOATE kills another, OXIBENDAZOLE, FENBENDAZOLE kills another. and PRAZIQUANTEL commen to the dog world but new to horse is use for type it comes mix with INVERMECTIN,or MOXIDECTIN Zimecterin Gold and Equimax has INVERMECTIN/PRAZIQUANTEL and is safe. Quest plus and combocare have MOXIDECTIN/PRAZIQUANTEL and use with care

Hope this helps in regards to wormer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would recommend Nutrena's new SAFECHOICE feed. It is a 7% fat pelleted feed, designed to reduce the risk of colic and laminitis, plus it supplies some highly digestible fiber sources so critical with our
    poorer hay this year. It may help reduce the hay bellies- we tend to
    feed more hay in the winter,it is causing those fat bellies due to the slower digestion.

SAFECHOICE also contains the following- biotin, 3 different amino acids
    (lysine, methionine, threonine) selenium, high Vitamin E levels, yeast,
    probiotics, and fat sources from corn oil. I wouldn't recommend mixing
    it or feeding another supplement with it- I would start with 1/2 to 3/4
    lb per 100 lbs of body weight, you will need to weigh in your scoop as
    it will weigh a little different.

Best part- the suggested retail price on a 50
    lb bag of SAFECHOICE is $9.29-9.49-

Here is the website link for SAFECHOICE- double click below
    http://www.nutrenaworld.com/Screens/...spx?BrandID=89

Hope this info helps,

Nicole

I definitly agree with the warning for Quest after giving it to our completely healthy stallion at a boarding stable, I was not there when they wormed him, but the result was catasrophic. He ran a thick strong manuar that reaked through the barn, it ran like liquid for days and days on end, this is a horse that was wormed every six months. He lost over five hundred pounds in approximatly a week, going from a healthy happy stallion to a starving bag of bones.

Over the next year we fought to put the weight back on, hay he ate like it went out of style, feed was eaten with the regular vigor, (bugger left behind all corn, don't know how.) Nothing worked, even milk, he thought we were trying to poison him. Finily after close to a year the stable owner had an equine nutritionist out to look at our horses. He thought the stallion was a rescue, but on further questioning he found out about the Quest and proceeded to tell us about the Quest Horses, about the deaths, and lose of foals, about how horses having reactions would lose the weight and their coats and die withing a week, normally with in 72 hours of being given this wormer.

He was shocked to hind our boy still had a thick coat, apparently it strips the horses ability to digest fat and fiber properly, and in doing so feeding did nothing, he could eat as much as he wanted and get no weight because of the fact he couldn't digest it. He was placed on fat and fiber, at that time a new feed, specificly developed for this type of problem and finily he started putting his weight back on.

So thats our horror story, our feed stores wont carry it anymore because of this and we are greatful and will never ever use this drug again, you'll notice they have lost alot of their advertised backers too because of it.

just remember it is not just Quest it is the MOXIDECTIN in the quest it is also carried in combocare so both quest and combocare have MOXIDECTIN in it. so please dont use eather of the 2 wormers

What do you all think of worming in general? There is really a ton of data out there that says worming is largely UNNECEESARY for a healthy horse.

Thoughts?