Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Eagles

Eagles

Several months ago I was out on my back deck late in the day. I love it here and enjoying watching what birds we have in the area. And especially enjoy that I can have a feeding tray on the deck railing right outside my computer room/office window and my desk faces that window!

Anyway, this particular day I was gazing off across the way and noticed a bird. I watched as he soared along above the trees and then landed on an utility pole on the other side of my neighbor's house. Even with binoculars I couldn't get a really close look at him, but I have no doubt that it was a golden eagle.

My sister was rather skeptical when I told her about my sighting, but strange things happen around me all the time! :wink:

Then I realized a month or so ago that it probably wasn't as strange as it might seem. There is a largish lake called Lynx Lake that is surrounded by pine trees and other trees. It seems like it's a fair distance away, and in a car it is. However, for the last few years there has been a pair of eagles nesting near the lake. Each year they close a portion of the lake, and the area surrounding the nest while the birds hatch their eggs. I heard a month or so ago that they had successfully fledged another chick this year.

When I heard that, and thought about it, I realized that "as the bird flies" I'm really not all that far from the lake and the area where that pair of eagles has been nesting. And I'm well within a 'hunting range' for the adult birds!

So I'm even more convinced that my visitor that day was indeed a golden eagle! 8)
    Juanita (& the kids - Missy, Taffy, Smudge & Marmie)

Cub
    Oh thats cool! I'm from MA (I now live in TN) and back at home we used to drive over a bridge where there used to be lots of eagles fishing in the river. They were so pretty. And for the first time in a very long time in that area they are succesfully breeding again. My grandfather really loves them, (he talks about seeing them constantly) and whenver I got home for a visit I am always sure to look for them. :D
    *Amanda*
    My Family: 3 Kittens, 2 Cats (not including my beloved strays), 20 Fish, 6 Betta Fish, two mice, and two hamsters. And all is well. :-D