Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How old before breeding...

My red healer is a year old, and she recently started going into heat and "bleeds". Is this because she is ready to have babies or should we somehow keep her from it for another year?

I can't answer you about when it's best to breed your dog. I can tell you that just because she's gone into heat it doesn't necessarily mean she's optimumly old enough to breed.

I am curious, though, as to what your plans are as far as breeding. Is there a reason you want to breed her at all? Most of the time it's just so much better to forego breeding and have them spayed. imho :)
    Juanita (& the kids - Missy, Taffy, Smudge & Marmie)

Re: How old before breeding...

Quote Originally Posted by belle12
    My red healer is a year old, and she recently started going into heat and "bleeds". Is this because she is ready to have babies or should we somehow keep her from it for another year?
    Your puppy should be spayed immmediately to prevent pregnancy.

Breeding is serious business and should be left to those who have studied their chosen breeds, who are equipped to properly select breeding stock, and educated in the whelping of dogs.

Every breeding carries with it the risk of death for the bitch and/or the puppies.

Be a RESPONSIBLE pet owner, and have your girl sterilized. You will all be better off for it.

:D
    Redyre Rottweilers
    "Penny" U-CH Eternal Moon Finders Keepers
    "Didds", TT * "V-"PeeWee" BH AD IPO 1 TT
    Waiting at the Bridge...
    V-Roxy CD, ASCA CD, TT, TDI, HIC, CGC
    Best in Vet Sweeps, ARC Reg. IV Specialty, 9/01