Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WEIMARANER !!!

WEIMARANER !!!

greetings... :)

I have a weimaraner puppy, "WRENN" is her name.
    I would love to chat to other puppy owners, especially about training and accomplishment with their puppy, tips and treats that work for them...
    we are now enrolled in obe. school looking forward to all reply"s

It may take people a while to find us from the old newsgroup boards, but I will keep you company until then! :D

How old is your pup? Wrenn, is that a female then? Spayed?
    How do you like obedience school so far?

Kerry

pj wrenn
    :P
    Wrenn is 16 weeks old , she was a bottle baby starting from day one, her mother did not have enough milk for the entire litter. My sister raise's weimaraners. I got wrenn when she was 4 weeks old . it was just like having a baby in the house, with 2 am feedings, etc.... I was so scared at times that i was going to lose her. but to make a very long story short , she is in great shape now. I really like the obed school that i have her in . she needed the interaction with other animals and people she really tend's to shy away from people, but she is getting much better. she is my shadow, 24/7... do you have any pets? I would love to hear about them ?
    untill later...

The reason that she tends to shy away from people is because she did not have the opportunity to stay with her litter until she was 8-10 weeks old. The litter teaches the dog a great many things. No dog should ever leave the litter until a MINIMUM of 8 weeks and it is best to leave them 10 and even BETTER to leave them 12 weeks. Seriously!! Obviously in this case you did not have a choice and you had to do what you did to save this little sweetie, but it will come with it's own little problems. You;ll need to really stay on top of your little Wren in order to make sure she is properly set for life. WHat you did was the first step - obedience class!! That taught her to socialize with other dogs, and people. You are doing all the right things, it is wonderful. The best thing you can do for her is socialize, socialize, socialize. Encourage people on teh street and in your house to touch her, talk to her, fondle her. Make sure that she allows you to touch her ALL over - in her ears, around her privates, in her mouth....you guys are gonna do just fine.

I currently have two dogs. I lost two other dogs this past year. They were both old, but it was still a huge blow and I'm still working on the recovery process I guess. It is so very hard to lose them, isn't it? They are so much a part of the family.

I also have two horses.

Kerry

Rottweiler puppy

I have an 8 month old rottie named Justice. She has been so much easier to train than any other dog or animal we have ever had. She learned to sit, lay down, roll over, speak and stay and the come command before she was 6 months. The treat that accomplished this is Beggin Strips, she loves them! :D She is such a blessing to our family. she is kind and so well easy going. She is also a weeny :lol: she will bark when she hears stuff out side but loves people and would never harm anything but mayflies...which she eats...ewww!!!! We have and are still training her not to bark at people simply walking by the house for instance and also working on jumping on people...she is a jumper but is learning quickly that that is no! Ok I could go on and on but I won't...hehe! By the way to mention the being touched thing....that is one of the first things the vet told us was to hold and feel and play with her paws much and often because this would prepare her to not be so aggressive about it and it still bugs her a little but she does not mind so much any more!
    ~Heather~Mom to:
    4 humans...=)
    Justice(8 mth old rottie pup)
    Miranda (3 month old Dalmatian pup)
    Pete and Max (cats)
    Storm (kitten)
    Fred and Ethyl(love birds)
    Jenna(belongs to son) and Angel(belongs to daughter)(hamsters)

Heather - I have rotties too! My boys are both rescues. We lost our female in January and another male a few years ago. I just love this breed. As you are discovering they are SUPER smart. Some words of advice - keep touching them - ALL OVER - in their ears, their feet, their privates but also make sure to introduce them to as many people as you possibly can - ESPECIALLY AT THIS AGE - because rotties get mroe possessive and aggressive as they age, so you want to be sure to never encourage it at this stage. The more people they meet and that you let touch and handle them the better dog you will have. TRUST ME!

rotties

Hi there and thank you for your reply. Yes Justice is very smart and we have noticed as she gets older she trys us but is quickly put into her place. We do pet her and she loves her ears petted and played with...her feet she tolerates but does not necessarily like it. She loves people too..we have 4 kids so she gets quite a bit of attention and she is a little weary of new people but it only takes a sec for her to warm up to them and be bringing them her ball wanting to play fetch! She has truly been a blessing and I must say that I was nervous about getting a rottie with kids but she has blown all my fears and things I have been told and just thought out of the water because she is awesome and gentle (besides her jumping on ya but she is learning) and so well tempered. the vet said she has the best disposition on a rottie he has ever seen and he has been a vet for 30 plus years!
    ~Heather~Mom to:
    4 humans...=)
    Justice(8 mth old rottie pup)
    Miranda (3 month old Dalmatian pup)
    Pete and Max (cats)
    Storm (kitten)
    Fred and Ethyl(love birds)
    Jenna(belongs to son) and Angel(belongs to daughter)(hamsters)

Heather, my guys are great woth kids too. Contrary to popular belief rotties are fabulous family dogs. People simply give them a bad rep because the unscrupulous wind up getting dogs like this or pitbulls or german shepherds. Sigh. It isn't the dog - it is the type of people that GET them!...as I am sure you already know.

Sounds like you're doing a fabulous job with your little furry. They are very reserved around new people, but once you indicate to the dog that the person is ok, they usually warm right up!

Kerry

getting a puppy

I am new to the site. I am getting a bichon puppy. He is only 8 weeks old right now I have paid for him but he still at the breeders till July 29 when he will be 12 weeks. My family (my mom and dad and I) raised a resuced cockapoo who is living with them and about to pass she is 14 and comming to an end but is in no pain Thank GOD!. She has had many health problems and was VERY abused. So, this is my first experience with a dog that comes to me without serious issues. Cindy (my cockapoo) was mean, hateful, scared and violent. She became loving and careing. Although she still hateful to new people and can be very jumpy espacially since she has gotten older she is a wonderful dog and will be missed. But anyway thats not my point. Tyson is my puppy and will not be around Cindy. With Cindy we had no oppertunity to do normal puppy things since she was too violent to be around people for quite some time. I have Tyson signed up for puppy kindergarden, I bought a crate, a moving kennel, bowls, leash, collar, tags, a bed, puppy chow, brush, flea collar, tooth care, some toys (although I want him to pick some out). I purchased pet insurance. Am I missing anything?? I am nervous that I will have forgotten something or do something wrong. I am open to any advice. I have read just about everything I can find but I would love some real person advice. Thanks for reading such a long post that is so random. I apologize.

Looks like you are doing just GREAT.
    Everything is set up perfectly for you.
    Good luck and keep us posted...so far you've done everything right!