Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Plant concern

Plant concern

I've neglected my aquarium plants of late, partly because I'm not sure what to do with them, and they do seem to just grow, plus, if I need some new product, money's been tight.

It's 36 gallons, with 2 red-tailed sharks, 1 rainbow shark, 3 tiger barbs, and 7 black phantoms, all of which have been in there for 2-5 years. I don't know which plants--there are a good 1/2 dozen, which I chose for variety of height, density, and also for low-medium light. Obviously, they're not terribly large.

I've just been doing the small weekly tank maintenance, but in preparing to do a major water change--really need to vacuum, etc., I'm looking at the plants and noticing black stuff on them. Could this be alarming? Is it caused by the fish, or also icky for them? And I was figuring I'd just rinse them off, but I don't want to hurt them, and then, some of them would need uprooting, and that doesn't seem smart.

Sorry, but I have no idea. I think I'd be a bit concerned about the black stuff on the plants, but I would also agree with you about being reluctant to uproot the plants.

Do you have a fish store in your area that you can ask? Most of the time they are pretty helpful with this sort of thing.
    Juanita (& the kids - Missy, Taffy, Smudge & Marmie)

Thanks for your reply. We have Petsmart, where they're nice enough but really don't know anything about the plants, and we had Petco; I trusted their advice a bit more, but it blew up in--March, I think. That was quite shocking, of course. And then I went into a local shop recently to scope things out, but I felt like I was being treated like a bit of an idiot. Which might be an indication of them knowing things, but it's difficult to say.

I tested one by pulling part of it out, and the black stuff came off when I scrubbed at it, but I could tell it was weakening the plant.

Yeah, you're right about a lot of the PetsMart people. They seem to be much more focused on the fish. And more general or common things. As to the other local shop. . . . well, even if they do know stuff, treating a customer in a condecending manner is not the way to show it. imho :)

Do you have a garden center in your area. Sometimes they have a section devoted to ponds. I realize that ponds and aquariums are two different environments, but perhaps someone would be knowledgable about water plants. And that knowledge might translate to the aquarium plants for you.

I really wish we had someone around here who could be more helpful than I'm being. :) :wink:
    Juanita (& the kids - Missy, Taffy, Smudge & Marmie)

Hey, a place like that might be a good idea; thanks for suggesting it! If it ever stops raining, I'll go out and hunt one down!

Java Fern develops spots

It depends on which plants are developing the spots. If its fern like plants then this is normal I think. Maybe plastic ones could be an option of your having algea problems. There is also chemicals your local store should keep to rid your tank of these problems.
    Hope this helps

Solute

Is there some1 who love pet more than me. If any, I solute
    [url=http://badabingbaby.com/]Portable DVD players[/url]
    [url=http://1stpetinsurance.co.uk/]Pet insurance[/url]
    [url=http://allmp3needs.com/]Mp3 player accessories[/url]