Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hatchling

I have to say goodbye to Leah and my heart is breaking

:cry: My dog Leah has liver cancer. She can't eat on her own and she has lost so much weight that she has a hard time walking. The vet says that there is nothing we can do and that we should consider putting her down. This was the hardest decision I ever had to make. We will be going to the vet on saturday and put her out of her misery. I love her so much and the thought of coming home and not have her greet me at the door breaks my heart. She has been with us for 8 years and she is part of our family. Loosing her by natural cause is one thing, making the decision to end her life, even if it is to end her suffering is a different ball game. You keep thinking: Is there something else I can do? Did I try everything?

I know she wouldhave to go one day and having her another 4 or 5 years would not make it easier when it happens. However, knowing all that does not stop my heart from breaking...

A few years ago, I saw in one of the "Dear Abby" type of column a letter that someone send about a note from a dog to its owner right before she died. It was the most touching text I have read. If someone know what I am talking about and have it, could you please send it to me through this forum.

Thank you

R.

I am so very sorry ... You might be referring to a Dog's Plea.

A Dog’s Plea
    Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for although I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

By Beth Norman Harris

Hatchling
    Dear kerryclair;

Thank you for this wonderful text. I did not know this one and it was not the one I saw in that column but it is as touching.

Tomorow I am taking the day off to spend the day with Leah before I bring her to the vet. The words you sent will stay with me.

Thank you

Richard

Richard,
    My heart is just breaking for you.
    I will be thinking of you all day tomorrow and your very beautiful little Leah.
    All our compassion....

Kerry

Hatchling

Goodbye Leah

To my loving and faithfull Leah. I love you and will never forget you. You will live in my heart forever and the memories of our life together will, in time, bring joy to my heart and a smile on my face instead of tears to my eyes.

Goodbye.

R.

MAKE IT GO AWAY OR MAKE IT BETTER (by Aaron Davis)

Make it go away or make it better
    Isn’t what love is suppose to do
    Because I would do either one for you

This is not the way you should see me
    This is not the face I recognize
    Can I lay my head down here for a moment?
    Would you sing to me like I am your child?
    I am not angry, I am not crying
    I am just in over my head
    You could be the angel staying over my shoulder
    Because all the other angels left

Because I am weakening
    This is more than one should have to take
    If you do this for me, I promise I will make it go away for you someday
    There are reasons, silver lining
    There are lessons but I don’t care
    I just need a hand that I can hold on to
    Because it is darker than death out there
    I am so cold and so far away from home
    But tonight you are where I belong
    You are everything right when I am everything wrong

Isn’t what love is suppose to do
    Because I would do either one for you

Richard, I am so very sorry.
    Words can't really express...

I sure know this pain that you are suffering, and it is a terrible one.
    Do you know the song The Dance, by Garth Brooks?
    It is one that i used to think about a lot when I was in so much grief and pain.
    The thought that I could miss all this pain, which I would gladly give up...but then I would have also had to miss all the joys my dogs had given to me, as well. So in the end, it was worth the pain to have "the Dance". i know that isn't very comforting right now....but I also know that right now, very little is.

You did the right thing, the most selfless thing that you could do. You showd your dog how very much you loved her...by be willing to let her go because that was what was best for her...even though it wasn't what was best for YOU.

Much love and affection...

Kerry

I understand your problem and I m so sorry for that. It is the critical situation for you and I understand your feelings. When we lost our pet, its so painful to us. You trying to spend some time with your pet.
    I know its their last stage of life because cancer spare nobody. You love her so much. My heart totally goes out to you.
    My deep condolences for you.
    (((((((((HUGS FOR YOU))))))))))