Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

fishy smelling discharge

Hello everyone I have a question about my Doberman mix Dexter. Every once and a while, about twice a week, he will have a fishy smelling white discharge, the drop being about the size of a pencil eraser, from his rectum. I've only had him two months or so and he has been to the vet and had all his shots and blood tests and everything was normal. Does anybody know what this could be?

Thank You

Hmmm....I've never heard of anything like that before. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe his anal glands are getting impacted (but I could be way off, there)
    Does he scooch his butt on the carpet? Or lick his butt a lot?

no he doesn't rub on the floors or do an unusual amount of licking.

Ah!
    I did some searching and found this: http://www.lvhvet.com/pages/anal.html

Looks like it could very well be his anal glands. I would take him to the vet and see about getting them expressed or see if your vet has any other suggestions.
    Let us know how it goes! :)

Well dexter isn't over weight at all, in fact he might be slightly undeweight. I appreciate your research into the matter. I guess we will try a more high fiber diet for him. Do you know of any food that is high in fiber? We are currently feeding him IAMS.