Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

New puppy or not

We have a 8 yr old female (maltese/cocker) that has a thyroid condition and recently went blind with SARD. She keeps to herself more than play with the 4 yr old now.

We have a 4 yr old that is active and loves to play! (Shihtzu) She seems to help the other a bit to get around.

We are considering a new puppy for the 4 yr old to play with and keep her company. We will ask the vet but we wonder if the 8 yr old would be neglected by both and mind?

Your thoughts? especially if you have had this situation before...thanks! :)
    deb/SassyRed

As long as you pay extra attention to the 8 year old I would think she would be just fine as long as you did not let the puppy antagonize her. It might be better to contact a rescue and get a slightly older dog - maybe a year or two old, rather than a puppy though.

Yes, if you work with a rescue, they will usually have you bring your dogs out so that you can see how your potential adoptees interact with your current dogs. That way, you can pick a dog that will be a better fit for you, your dogs and your family.
    Good luck in your search. And I'm sorry to hear about your 8yr. old's condition.