Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: beak problems

beak problems

Hello, I have an Indian Ring Necked parrot that was given to us about 1 year ago. Now for about the last 2 months, I've noticed some changes in his beak. At first I thought that it was cracked, then after watching it for a few days, saw nothing different with the beak or any eating habbits. Most recently, the last 2 days, the very tip of his beak is now almost white. THe upper half has not changed colors at all and is still a reddish orange color and looks good. Other than the fact he thinks he's a chicken and clucks and scratches like one, he is or appears to be very healthy. Any ideas on this subject? Please let me know.

The upper beak of a psittacine is made up of a couple of bones that are attached to a hinge to the bones of the braincase and the horny tissue over it. Unlike the upper jaw of mammals, a parrot's upper beak is flexible and capable of some movement and you can daily checking the health of your bird. Look for cracks, overgrowth, or discoloration of the beak and including different textures of perches, including cement perches specifically made for beak and nail health. Note: Do not use sandpaper perches.

Re: beak problems

Birds beak growing white is normal, don't worry this happens in the case of parrots.My parrot also has white beak at the tip.Though please post the pic of the bird so that i can analyse further.If you really feel bird is having some problem please consult some expert nearby.