Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Spontaneous biting...

My mother has a dog that is spontaneously biting. Not attacking or anything... he will bite once or twice without warning and then get a confused look like he doesn't know what's happening.

The vet recommended he be put down, and several different trainers as well as various family members also recommended that he be put down. Everybody says that there is nothing that can be done (with the exception of ONE trainer who claims that the action can be trained out of the dog). The dog is a 2 year old Rottweiler mix. This has happend twice, and neither time was a prolonged response... bite bite, back to normal. There was no growling or threatening behaviour beforehand... from what I was told the animal went from going about his business, to instantly biting 2 or 3 times, and then back to normal immediately afterwards.

If we were dealing with a person, it would sound suspiciously like a mental disorder (turettes or somesuch perhaps, where the person very very briefly loses control in a split second and comes to themselves a few seconds later).

Does anyone know of possible causes of this that are not training related or anywhere to go to for further information or possible ways to curb this action? Or more places to find information about this type of thing?

Thanks,

Scott

I am sorry Scott...biting without warning is very serious. You are right to seek the advice of professionals. You might also want to call some rottie rescue places. They are very experienced with the breed and may be able to help you make some decisions about the dog.
    Please let us know what happens.

You could ask the trainer that thinks the dog can be trained if he/she would be willing to take the dog off your hands. Or like someone said give him to a rescue group. I wouldn't give up on him just yet. but for safety i would get a mussle. You should also seek the advice of different vets.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

I doubt a rescue group would take him. I meant to call them and ask their advice. Rescues will have a difficult time placing a dog that is a spontaneous biter...I think they might be able to evaluate the dog for you though and give you some suggestions.

Thank you for your responses. I got some advice from another forum as well with some interesting suggestions that are good leads to check out as an alternative to having to put the animal down.

My mother will be having a full workup done to see if there is any physiological cause of this (Tumors, hormonal, etc).

If there isn't any kind of biological cause, then she will pursue training options to see if the problem can be overcome.

Thanks,

Scott