Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: BREEDER WARNING

BREEDER WARNING

BUYER BEWARE ! I was purchasing a poodle puppy and sent a $600 deposit to the breeder, Teresa Skaggs doing business as both Windancer Poodles and Symphony Lochen located in Oklahoma. THe pup died and the breeder was unable to replace the pup with the same breeding and quality, yet refuses to return to me the deposit that was paid to her over a year ago. I wanted to warn others about the unethical practices of this breeder and I fear that I may have been dealing with a PUPPY MILL. Please be careful out there, we could be supporting puppy mills and not even knowing it, with this age of the computer and websites. Marketing is still marketing and not all websites are truthful.

warning

I wish more people would comment on breeders. I am ready to make a $$$ purchase and know very little about the breeders.

Why buy from a breeder when this country puts down 5 million animals a year? Why not go to your local shelter and get a great dog in need of a home? If it is a purebred you want, why not try your local breed rescue?

Please give it some thought!

Ya i agree, i hate puppy mills. Im going to a junoir college and im writing my research paper on puppy mills and how bad they are...
    I want people to see how bad they really are!!

Ya i agree, i hate puppy mills. Im going to a junoir college and im writing my research paper on puppy mills and how bad they are...
    I want people to see how bad they really are!!

My Taffy came from apparently a reputable breeder. Albeit one who raises a lot of puppies and several different breeds. Sometimes I wonder, though. . . .

Taffy is a purebred long-haired chihuahua who grew to more than twice the "normal" size and has weighed just over 16 pounds all of her adult life. When I stopped back in several months later and commented on this to one of the girls there at the time she said, "oh we're breeding them to be a bit bigger so they don't have so many problems with the small head, etc."

Oh, okay. . . .

Then last October Taffy started having what appears to be fainting spells. And when I took her to the vet after the first one, we discovered she has an enlarged heart and now has a heart murmur. Congestive Heart cough, etc.

So, I really have to wonder. . . .

Of course, I ended up with that breeder because that's where Taffy was. This time. . . . (her story of coming back to me is on my website) Hopefully next time she and I end up with a better breeder, rescue, etc. And hopefully, that's a little while off yet. . . .

Juanita

http://members.aol.com/sprtrainbw/taffy.htm

Re: warning

Quote Originally Posted by vahippie
    I wish more people would comment on breeders. I am ready to make a $$$ purchase and know very little about the breeders.
    I very much agree with Kerry - please consider a rescue first. Contact your local breed club if you're looking for a particular breed - most breed clubs run a rescue for their breed of dog (or cat).

If you absolutely insist on buying from a breeder, though, check out this website to be sure that you're buying from a responsible, ethical breeder and not from someone who is just looking to make money and isn't concerned with the health and welfare of their offspring.
    http://www.danemist.com/ABCs/buyingapurebredpuppy.html

I agree with the other posts. If you have to have a purebred, please consider contacting your loal breed club, and there many reputable breeders have a rescue. If we knew what breed your leaning towards, we all could probably give you a Web site for them.

example: pwcca.org, is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America, and there you can go under breeder or rescue tab, choose your state, and find names, numbers and e-mail contacts to start the process.

Thanks,
    Nicole
    Shylah PWC (I am the queesn)
    Lucas PWC (Arrrroooooooo)
    Bixler and Gabby (The Kitties two)
    ***I also have human babies that are running around here too***

I am sorry that you lost your deposit but people have been warning buyers for years to buy locally and not trust out of state breeders.
    1. They may not even have litters to sell
    2. No written guarantees on the condition of the aniaml they sell you
    3. You can't see the conditions of how the animals are living or being treated.
    4. If the animal dies in transit it is on you not them.
    5.By supporting puppy/kitten mills you further the abuse these animals must
    suffer through.
    I have seen females that can no longer stand up as they were bred over and
    and over.

I hope you report these people to Oklahoma and that you make sure that something is done to stop them.