Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hiya Reno!!!
    Welcome to here!!

You are training to be an advisor? That is AWESOME!
    What does it entail?
    The online study course?
    Will you need to go down to the Florida "campus"?

Tommy is now going for a year of training with Kenny Harlow.
    Really interesting stuff.

It is the on line courses. He sold the Learning Center sometime around Oct., last year because he couldn't be there & on the road doing clinics at the same time. He shouldn't of sold it, he could of hired me to work there when he was doing clinics on the road! (wishful thinking)

That is a real shame about him selling it. What a bummer.
    Florida was too far for us to go and so we attended some Kenny Harlow demos, liked them, and then took a three week course down in Virginia with him. Liked that too, so now Tommy is going to be certified.

We should all get together again. Maybe HTP3 whenever he develops it (grin).

Hi Kerry!

I (about a month ago) got my Pony Boy Regional Advisor status. They should announce it on his board in about a week. :D And ...last weekend I held my 1st demo! Glad to hear Tommy is certified with Kenny Harlow! 8)

Tom

Reno, that is awesome! CONGRATULATIONS! I am so impressed!
    So what are you going to do now with your new knowledge? Do you have plans?

Tommy is still involved in his year long program. He goes every two months down to VA to be tested (his horses) on what he was supposed to teach them, and then get his assignments for the next two months.

It is gruelingly intense. He is working with the horses hours and hours every day. Both of them have to be equal in training, as he never knows which Kenny will pick for him to test on.

The horses are amazing now. After only two months, when you walk with them they don't need a lead line and when you stop they softly take two small steps backward. They stand still for mounting and tacking - no typing...and he can get off anywhere on a trail, tell them to stand and walk away from them and they stay right there. They lower their heads on command for haltering or bridles, they stop by just leaning back in the saddle (drop down a gait if they are moving fast), and they are just amazing...tunring on the pole, stepping out, side stepping...it is awesome! It is so hard to believe that they were two unbrokes less than three months ago!

It is so much fun!
    He is the only one allowed to ride them though for the whole year...so I can't even play around with them...but it is fun just learning with him. :)

I want to give HTP type clinics & demo's. Had my 1st last weekend & working on a few more.
    The stuff Tommy is working on sounds like the things my wife does with her TB. Her horse is the alpha of 22 in the pasture & everyone can't believe her horse will do those exact things for her, except stand for mounting. I might of told you before, she took Pony's HTP 1, but her mare did NOT want anything to do with Pony's excercises, 'Zarah' did not want to give up her alpha status to Deb. Now Deb works with her mare with some of Parelli's stuff & can get those results.
    Kenny's program does sound interesting tho, I'll have to look into that. :)

One of the other things I like about Kenny is that he encourages his students to take courses and study with other trainers. Good attitude about that because we talk about how great Pony is all the time (G).

The course is so intense though. He only allows so many students per year - max is nine I think, and Tommy's class has six in it. Last year only one student passed. He doesn't just pass you because you tried. You are tested and in your final two weeks you are given two unbrokes you have never met and you have to take them from being unbroke to doing everything you spent a year teaching your other two. The idea is that by the end of a year you are so good with horses it takes you almost no time at all to do what you have previously been learning to do. And indeed, Tommy is progressing more smoothly now than in the beginning - he gets it and acomplishes so much more, so much faster...but it is still arduous as he and they learn.

The scary part is possibly spending thousands of dollars for this course and not graduating. :)

It's tough!

horse training

Hello my name is Megan and my dad and I just recently bought our first horse!!! Shortly after our horse started having problems. It is extremely hard to ride him unless my dad walks infront of our horse in which I have NO control over him what so ever. Right about now where our horse is boarded we have been having training lessons with my trainer. Our progress is getting a little better but not much. My dad and I are going to buy this training set with dvd's and book's from the John Lion's web site. My dad is a member on that site and we have both been getting information for each other. If any body has and training methods to help with gaining a horses respect it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Do you have a round pen? First thing I would do is attend some clinics and learn to work your horse in a round pen.

Re: horse training

Hi Megan, Do you still check this board? How's your horse doing?

Quote Originally Posted by hazel_eyes
    Hello my name is Megan and my dad and I just recently bought our first horse!!! Shortly after our horse started having problems. It is extremely hard to ride him unless my dad walks infront of our horse in which I have NO control over him what so ever. Right about now where our horse is boarded we have been having training lessons with my trainer. Our progress is getting a little better but not much. My dad and I are going to buy this training set with dvd's and book's from the John Lion's web site. My dad is a member on that site and we have both been getting information for each other. If any body has and training methods to help with gaining a horses respect it would be greatly appreciated!!!