Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Drooling??

Drooling??

:?: Hi there! I have a question about an older horse that I have. She is 23 years old and is a purebred quarter horse. We recently purchased her for our son to learn how to ride. She is in pretty good health and doesn't show her age. Anyway, my question is... is it normal for a horse to drool when they eat??? She really drools a lot. I hope that this doesn't sound too stupid of a question.... none of the other horses we have drool when they eat. Thanks so much for any help on this!!

:?:

I'd be willing to bet that she needs her teeth looked at and worked on. Even if she is not in bad shape and does not look her age, her teeth probably need some help. I have a 20 year old and when he started droolign more than normal that is when I took him in for a teeth check up and he really needed dental work.

I agree...probably needs his teeth floated.
    It could also be due to clover though. Horses that eat a lot of clover develop a totally harmless drooling reaction sometimes. Check his tongue. If it is black, then it is the clover and you can just ignore it. Otherwise I would have a horse dentist take a look!

Re: Drooling??

Drooling is usually caused by excess saliva in the mouth. Medical conditions such as acid reflux and pregnancy can increase saliva production. Allergies, tumors, and above-the-neck infections such as strep throat, tonsil infection, and sinusitis can all impair swallowing.Check her teeth, she need a Dental Checkup

Thank you

Re: Drooling??

Equinesafetyzone, perhaps you haven't noticed that the thread dates from 2004. That is 12 years ago! That would make the horse about 35 years old (if still on this earth at that age).

However, thank you for the information.