Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Need someone's opion on seperation anxiety

I have a 8 1/2 month old English Mastiff. I know that her breed is very clingy. They always have to be right next to you. The problem is I not sure when the normal breed behavior stops and seperation anxiety begins.
    Example: We leave her loose in the house when we go some where she can't go with us and she is fine. Doesn't chew or mess in the house she is perfect. Now if we are home and outside and she is in she has a fit and cries and barks and digs on the door. Even when we are at a friends house having a playdate and there are 8 dogs to play with she is having a fit and wants to be with me. I'm not sure on what to do. What do you suggest? and ignoring her doesn't work :?
    I am new to this group and would love to talk to other dog lovers.

I have a bichon who I feel may also have seperation issues. He is always next to me. I kennal him whenever I am gone. I am a teacher and my future husband works 3rd so he is only alone when we run errands or go out. He cries when we leave and recently my neighbor (who is also a huge dog lover) informed me that when I went to the store he cried the entire hour and a half I was gone. I am concerned. I spoke to my vet and he said to keep a journal and watch closly. We have a follow-up to possiblly discuss medication. Have you looked into this??? Hope things are going better. If you find anything that works let me know. I do not want to use drugs.

Hope this helps.

Dogs are pack animals and want to be with thier pack. Thats (you). So if your out side and your dog can hear you it wants to be where you are. Even if theres other dogs around, they're not its pack members you are. Don't jump strait to using meds it doesn't teach your dor a thing. Try this. you need to teach your your four legged family member that just because your home doesn't mean your constantly together. We don't even do that with our young children. If we have a small child and we have things we need to do around the house, we put them in a crib. Yes. Thats all a kennel is. A dog crib. And all dogs are den animals. So try this and enjoy the results. When your home (using the metal wire type kennel so your dog can still see you) 2 to 3 times a day put your dog in the kennel for 5 minutes. Then over a few days increase that to 20 minutes. Make sure the kennel is large and your dog has plenty of chews and toys. Your dog will quickly learn that some times your apart and thats ok.
    If only man did for dogs what dogs do for man.