Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

help - My cat has flu like symptom

My cat is about a year old. He has been vaccinated, dewormed, etc.

He was recently exposed to a large number of other cats at a shelter.

For the past couple days, he has been sneezing. Then today, he stopped sneezing, but he is listless with a runny nose and is not eating or drinking. He feels as though he has a fever. He's been sleeping all day.

So far, all we've done is use a dropper to feed him water (assuming he'll dehydrate).

First, what is likely the illness. Second, what can we do to help him?

Thanks,

Bill & Lyuda

Get him to a vet, and quickly, he could have been biten by a cat with feline lukimia, or picked up distemper or any other number of feline illnesses found readily in shelter environments. The soner he is treated if it is serious, the more likely he will be to pull through.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Also sounds like an upper respiratory infection; which is very, very, very, very, very, very, very common in shelter environments. In our shelter, 70% of the cats that die in cages or are euthenized do so because of a URI.

Your baby needs some antibiotics and probably a decongestant.

I agree with Celtech, get him to a vet ASAP.