Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kitten fractured lower leg

Yesterday morning, my 8 week old kitten fell off the back of my bed and either got his leg stuck in the baseboard or hit the wrong spot and limped away meowing and hid. I immediately took him to the vet emergency room and turns out that he has fractured his tibia. They told me to keep him cage/crate rested for three weeks but I feel bad that he would be stuck in the cage the whole time (it is the carrier that I use to take him to the vet). I have taken him out when he wakes up and monitor what he is doing and don't let him jump or anything. When he is ready for sleep, I put him in the cage. When he is out, he still tries to run and play like a normal kitten and is not deterred by his little bandage/cast but I can tell it is awkward and he does not like it on. I don't know what to do to keep him entertained without letting him walk around and play like normal, and he seems to be fine. Is it okay that he is out and playing and that I let him walk around? I don't want him to take longer than necessary to recover, but he is a kitten after all and has been very resilient.

Also, the vet suggested to find a smaller litter box that he could get into easier and I tried the top of a shoebox. But he just thought that was a sandbox and made a mess, and when he had to go to the bathroom, he went right over to his real litter box and jumped in and out without meowing, seeming to me that he did not have pain or a problem doing that. Is it okay that he is getting in and out of the litter box?

Any suggestions would be helpful since I don't really know what to do and feel so helpless.

Thank you so much!

Check a local pet store (like Petsmart or Petco). I picked up a kitten litter box last week and it actually had a ramp up the side of it.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/prodimg...3076403_lg.jpg