Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

can he understand commands already?

Riley ( my lab pup) is 8 weeks old! we have had him for a week now and he seems to be listening to us already! he sits most times when he is told and leaves things when we tell him no (not all the time but but quite alot), he is still chewing on everything though and if he is too excited about something like my shoe laces he will ignore me (which i expected him to do till at least 6 months)!

i wasnt sure if i should be teaching him commands yet but i thought it would be better to start as i mean to go on!

Teaching commands now gives you a great starts, few people realise you can teach a dog from the day it comes home, mine learned one new command a week and learned them easily and happily. I was warned however that at about 16 weeks my dog would "unlearn" everything I trained her to do becuase her nose and her own intrests would take over. To some extent it was true, she did start exploring at that age outside, but inside she was still the perfectly obediant dog.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

thank you for replying!!

after 'sit' i am not sure what else i should teach him as i want to keep it simple!!!

any ideas?

Lay down is the next most obvious one, his name, say his name each time he looks at you give him a treat. Come, heel is an easy one, tell him heel and guide him around your feet with a treat and guide him to the sit possition once he's at your proper heel. You can train sit pretty, roll over, shake paw, theres about two months worth of commands there, depending on how fast he learns. Then you can add the twist of doing them outside with distractions, which is a whole new ball game.

Personally I think "off" is always an important one, especially for larger breed dogs. It saves from having to walk across the room to redirect him or her. DON'T do what many people do and train down to not only lay down but to get down off of something they have jumped up on. That one drives my bf nuts. The dog will jump up on the something and he'll hollar for her to get down, get down, get down but she never will. One stern "off" from me and she gets off of what she's jumped up on. He doesn't understand there's a huge difference between down and off; but the dog does!

If he's big on chewing on things (like shoe laces--lol), "release" might be a good one to work on too. If you don't teach it then you run the risk of him wanting to play "tug of war" when you try to take away something he shouldn't be chewing on. I am not a fan of tug-of-war.....I think it teaches too much aggression that he is rewarded for if you lose.

Agree with Dogmom, we use flat for laydown, and down for getting off something. And release "drop" is a really important one espically if he gets ahold of something dangerous.

Re: can he understand commands already?

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie
    Riley ( my lab pup) is 8 weeks old! we have had him for a week now and he seems to be listening to us already! he sits most times when he is told and leaves things when we tell him no (not all the time but but quite alot), he is still chewing on everything though and if he is too excited about something like my shoe laces he will ignore me (which i expected him to do till at least 6 months)!

i wasnt sure if i should be teaching him commands yet but i thought it would be better to start as i mean to go on!
    Absolutely! Besides labs are really smart dogs and pick up commands very well. I would also go with leash training once you help him learn a few that you are working with. You want to start leash training soon cause once he starts to grow it will be hard cause they can get quite hefty ;-)
    Chris