Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Raw Bones

Raw Bones

I have a golden retriever male dog and looking to buy raw bones for him. I think it would be a good recreational thing for him. I know Its not a light matter to pick a good raw bone. Wondering do raw bones safe for my dog and how to choose the good ones. Well, I always prefer to get pet supplies from PetSmart and Petco. If you have any other recommendation, please share...

Thanks..

What do you mean by raw bones? Are you referring to an actual raw bone or a rawhide?

A raw bone you can't get anywhere but your local grocer or butcher shop (and don't get your hopes up on a grocery store--a lot of them get their meats pre-cut anymore so they don't have bones). A butcher shop I'd suggest beef or other larger animal (such as buffalo). The smaller bones--chicken, turkey, pork--tend to sliver as the dog tears through them. Mine have no problems with them but you certainly don't want to take that chance. A larger bone is less likely to sliver. Remember, never cook them either (cooking them makes them softer and takes out a lot of the protein).

If you're looking for a rawhide, in my opinion, a rawhide is a rawhide. The big thing to look at with these is to make sure you get the appropriate sized bone. You don't want to give a giant lab a bone made for a tiny toy poodle (he may swallow the bone and choke on it). And you don't want to get one too big because he may hurt his gums or lose interest in it because it's too large to enjoy. I don't buy rawhides so I'm not sure if the package says a size or recommend for a certain size/breed dog. But by comparing the bones you will be able to determine which is a best fit for your dog.

Kittens usually start eating solid food at around 4 weeks of age but still suckle on their mother. Ready made cat foods that can be bought in the supermarket usually contain a balanced diet for your cat or kitten. There are many brands to choose from and many manufacturers make specific kitten food.

Re: Raw Bones

The best time to give a dog a bone is after a full meal. Why? You don’t want your dog starving when he/she starts to chew on the bone. Ingesting too much of a bone could lead to constipation, and possible serious obstruction.