Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sick of the urinating ALL THE TIME

Okay I've been dealing with this for 5 years now and I've had enough of it. I can't handle it anymore. I hate the thought of putting her into a new home because she is a part of this family but I'm sick of cleaning up her urine all day long from everywhere.

She is completely housebroke. When she's got to go she will whimper at the door until you let her out. But when ANYONE touches her she will pee all over the place. As of right now she lives in her leash, because we can't reach down to touch her to put it on without her urinating all over. And when we do reach for the leash we have to stretch it out It's an 8 foot leash) and then turn your back to her when you reach down to pick it up.

You can't pet her, because she'll pee when you touch her. Even if you are laying on the floor and she comes over to you. It's sad I have the only dog that you can't touch!

The kids might be rough housing and we have to put the dog in the kitchen, she can't play along, because when they squeel or laugh loudly or whatever she pees.

It's all the time. I have tried everything except having her bladder removed, which if it were possible I'd seriously consider it! I don't live somewhere right now where I can put her outside all the time and even if I did that's not the life I want for a dog. I want a dog that can be part of the family and not have to worry about cleaning urine up from everywhere just because you reach out to pet her or talk to her or whatever. All my other dogs give kisses--you can't tell her to give you kisses cause if you do she pees all over the place.

So I have a dog that you can't touch, you can't talk to. She pretty much lives either outside or in the kitchen which is an awful life as far as I'm concerned.

I just want some thoughts. What can I do to stop this? She's done it since we got her as a puppy it's just more of a problem now because now I'm renting and don't have a yard for her to be in all day like we did before. Life today is in the house and the hour walk at night. But this has got to stop!!

DogMom, is this a submissive thing? Or an excitement thing, my rottie pees in excitement still at six, but in order to give advice I need to know if she's doing it because she is excited about seeing you, or if it because she's scared your going to do some sort of harm.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

That's just it....I don't have the faintest idea! She does it with EVERYTHING. Me, the mailman, the 2 year old little boy next door, my kids, the kids hollering and screaming at the park down the road, thunder, when you walk by her, when you reach out to pet her, when you brush her, when the vaccuum is running, when you drop a dish on the floor and it makes noise, when someone knocks on the door. Doesn't matter--it's EVERYTHING and that's what makes it so hard to figure out what it is. When people come over I just simply say "please don't touch the dog". It doesn't matter where she is--inside or outside, home or vet. It's just basically when anyone approaches her--even a small child.

Wow that is odd, it almost sounds like extrem submissiveness, that she has seen abuse in her past and is so scared that its become a learned activity. I was going to say over load her with activity until there is nothing left to come out and teach her its okay that she doesn't need to pee, but at this point I would suggest three things, an incontenence diaper for dogs, a vet visit to make sure she doesn't have problems like a too large urethra (people get it) or a bladder infaction, or gall stones, anything like that, and lastly, because its the most expensive, an animal behaviourliest. You may need to try a vet collage or something, this definatly does not sound natural, at least the diaper will give you a temperary repreive and you will be able to touch her again, because certainly not touching her, is not going to help.

Yes, she's been doing it since we got her but we adopted her 8 years ago!!! By now she should have unlearned all this crap! They actually tried to steer us away from adopting her, because she was a free-pee-er. I've taken her to the bet before, he says she's a healthy dog. I've considered diapers but the fact is she'll pee all over with me trying to put the diaper on her! And sad thing is SHE'S the alpha!!! I have to really watch her with any new additions, even shelter fosters, because of how dominating she can be. But even with new dogs she will pee when they come near her.

I don't know, it's just crazy. I think I am gonna call a behaviorist. I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry I couldn't help, it is a really weird behaviour. Good Luck, I hope you can help her.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I'm wondering if it may not be age? One of the other things I've noticed is that she does NOT listen anymore either! It used to be you could whistle or say "come on" and she'd come running. Now I've got to climb under the table or go all the way outside and at least touch her to get her in. She knows what she's doing is wrong because like this morning I sat at the door and said come and she looked at me, got up, walked a few feet and then laid down. So I went back in and waited a minute and tried it again (yesterday she came when I called). But today, didn't happen. So I went outside, touched her hip and she casually walked in the house.

I'm at my whits end with her. She pees all over anymore (and she's squatting so it's intentional). She doesn't listen worth sh!t. She's being a butt head to the other dog. She doesn't "talk" much anymore and when she does if we talk back she just pees on herself.

I'm getting aggravated with her!! It's like she's terrified and there's no reason for it!!! NOTHING has changed in the last couple months for her to suddenly act like this.

I don't know what to do or what to think. I haven't been able to talk to the behaviorist yet but I need to. I'm just so tore up about this sudden change in her. I don't understand it.

Talk to your vet about a brain tumor or a possible chance she has stroked. Have her hearing tested. If she has had or has either of these it could explain everything. If she's that old and this is just a newly developed problem then I would agree with age being the issue.If it is a complete personality change something drastic must have occured to change it. since it appears it may have been a gradual change I would be concerned about brain tumor over the stroke, since the stroke would have been an instant change.

My dog is a 4 year old chihuahua that I have had since she was a puppy, I call her Rosie.She was properly trained to let me and my husband know when she needs to pee. She does know how to and does not have a bladder problem. She does have an attitude problem. I wish I had crate trained her although I like her to sleep with me. The problem is no matter how many times I take her out, she will go and pee in my bathroom. She does this mostly when we are asleep and she has woke up us before. The worst part is when we are both awake and she does not even bother to let us know and sneaks into the bathroom. I have tried the sprays you can buy in the pet stores and at Walmart and if she wants to urinate on something that won't stop her.
    [url=http://www.faxbroadcastservices.net]Click For Online Fax Info[/url]

That is unfortunate Sue. Sounds like a serious behavioral problem with your little one.

For mine, it's different because she doesn't realize she's even doing it. She has absolutely no control over it.

I've spoken with a trainer, a behaviorist and two vets. No suggestions; just that she's lived a long life and she is starting to fail in many ways. I think it's time to seriously consider giving in and putting her down.