Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kitten allergies.........

We have a new kitten and I think she is having an allergic reaction. We are not rushing to the vet because we just figured it out (started last night) and so I think she just needs to rest. Here is how this happened......

Friday we got a new kitten from the pound. The kittens she was briefly housed with got a cold. The lady that runs the pound gave me some amoxi and said I should give it to her as a preventative. We did and it was about an hour later that she was lethargic. I thought....figures.....now she gets sick (Not a fan of modern medicine). This morning I gave it to her again and a few hours later realized that THAT is why she is sick. Her face is a little swollen and she has a small fever. She has been sleeping since last night pretty much non-stop. I have recently realized that it could have been the canned food that I mixed the amoxi in with also. Anyone experienced this before? Is there any home remedy that will help her a bit? We won't be giving her anymore of the amoxi OR that canned cat food. I feel awful that I gave it to her a second time. I could have killed her. Ugh.

Anyway, I have had cats my whole life and have never experienced this.

Find out what the pound was feeding her and get her back on it, then definatly discontinue the meds. If it is hjust a cold she should pull through without much of an issue, but I would have her checked by your vet, as what can look like a 'cold' in human terms could be feline lukimea or distemper in cats, espically coming from a place where multiple cats are housed.

Better to be safe then sorry.

Also a kitten can sleep over 16 hours a day in either case, so her sleeping could just be her being a kitten. Good luck.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.