Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

help aggression!

Hi! I have a 10 month old german shepherd that we got when she was 5 weeks old. We took her through puppy class, I brought her to work with me until she was 6 months old, and I've had her in various settings to volunteer. She does not like men or males, in general. While visiting my sister, she 'went after' my 5 year old nephew. I had a gentle leader on her and was able to grab her, but she lunged at him. Yesterday, she did the same thing with my neighbor's 5 year old daughter. She has never shown aggression towards females. We were inside our house, and I realize that she probably behaved this way because it was her 'turf'. I am very afraid that she may get loose and hurt someone. I love her and want to train her but I'm unsure how to get her 'over' this. She goes bezerk in the car, if someone comes up to the car and we are in the car. It is only my daughter (12) and myself. Any help is appreciated...

She's at that age where GSDs generally start testing your leadership pretty much constantly. She's being over-protective because she doesn't see you as a strong leader figure who's going to keep everybody safe.

Do you follow the rules of nilif training? If not, put it into practise straight away. (Just google it if you're unfamiliar with the concept, it's very simple stuff.)

Forgive me if anything I say is obvious to you, or you're already doing, by the way. :wink:

Okay, first off, she needs to be getting plenty of exercise. Get her out for a walk first thing on a morning, before she has breakfast (assuming she gets breakfast.) And for another walk during the day/evening/whenever you can fit one or two more in. It's important with a dog that's being boisterous like yours though that you keep your lead-walks calm and structured. Don't let her drag you about, you have to be in charge of the walk. ie, you go through doors/gates first, you don't let her walk in front of you on the lead, you don't let her snatch toys from you etc. Let her loose to play when you say so, not when she demands it, then she can go mad running and playing and getting it all out of her system.

If you're not doing these things already, just putting the nilif and the extra exercise into practise should calm her down implicitly.

If you are already showing her who's in charge by doing these things, then maybe you need to start doing some positive associations with children and strangers. Take her out to where you normally run into the bother. When you see a person, get her attention with a happy, confident voice and give her a favourite toy/treat/lots of praise and attention before she starts to react aggressively. This way she will start to associate seeing a stranger with fun, games and positive things. (The idea is that she will then see a stranger/child and turn to you instead of barking and lunging at them.)

You can also teach her "Look!" with the aid of toys/treats/praise to get her to look at you on command. Just having them turn to look up at you can snap them out of their fixation.

If none of this helps at all, just say so with a little more info and I'm sure someone will be able to offer some more advice soon.

(If it helps you to know, female GSDs all tend to be a little highly strung at that age; they need patience, time, and plenty of exercise to drain that crazy out of them! :P )

Good luck with her.

If your dog is misbehaved and disobedient at the moment you probably wondering how I can say that but the truth is, obedience is your dog’s natural instinct. This simple ’secret’ is at the very heart of the dog training system I teach.

It’s Not Your Fault If You’ve Been Having Trouble Training Your Dog

Because of the wrong dog training advice that’s distributed by most professional dog trainers, a lot of people do things that go against their dog’s natural instinct resulting in avoidable dog aggression, disobedience and overall bad dog behavior.

As you start to work with your dog’s natural instinct using my simple dog training system you’ll find that the results are almost instantaneous and usually quite astounding.

Here’s one of those “weird” but very effective techniques I teach…

Always eat your own meal first before you feed your dog and, make sure your dog can see you eating before they get theirs!

The reason why is simple. Your dog is a pack animal and all packs have leaders. Deliberately eating your meals first in the sight of your dog helps establish you as the pack leader and the one to be obeyed in your dog’s mind!

A lot of dog owners have found this simple tip to be so effective, however it’s just one part of my entire dog training system and works in harmony with the rest of what I teach.

Here’s another “weird” tip… Did you know that you should never ever apologize to your dog?
    Winnie Knapp
    Dog Trainer
    [url=www.dogsology.com]dog training videos[/url]

Hi,

You should provide him trainer who is master in his field or enroll your

puppy in an obedience class where he can socialize with other dogs .
    [url=http://www.dogobedienceshortcuts.com/stop-dog-aggression/]How To Stop Dog Aggression[/url]

There must be a reason

There has got to be a reason why the dog is so aggressive, did she have another owner besides you. if so, they may have groomed her to be aggressive against men. This all goes back to training, if the dog is taught not to respond in a certain way it won't.