Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rescue Neutered Adult Male Marking Territory in the House

Hi,
    I just rescued a 6yo neutered male spitz mix. I have a 12yo neutered male border collie and a 6 yo son.

The first night was fine - I crated him in one of the new soft crates since I had donated my plastic crate to the humane society.

Day #2 caught him marking the couch, told him no and took him outside. The dogs are getting along great and I let him sleep in bed with me and Zeus (mistake I know).

Day #3 didn't catch him but saw the pee dribble on the carpet by the love seat. Son came home from the ex'es and they played for hours. At bed time put Rusty in the crate in son's room and little Hoodini got out of it. Put him back in a couple times and got fed up and let him sleep in bed with son.

Day $4 didn't catch him again and found another furniture spot marked. I'm starting to get ticked! It looked fresh so I told him no and he ran into the other room and wouldn't come out. And here I sit at 12:40 am in my sons room guarding Hoodini who has gotten out of his crate - well, I lost count after 5 times - and the darn thing peed in his crate!

Any ideas what to do? I feel his urinating is about dominance and he is low man on the totem in this house. Yet, I need some sleep - I'm a single parent! Do I bring his crate into my room with hopes he stays in it? He is my son's dog and I want him to sleep in his room, but I need him to know the pecking order is me, my son, Zeus and them him. I know I goofed by letting him sleep in the bed for 2 nights so he's making the most of it. My big concern is the urinating because I have little tolerance for that. He will have to go back if I can't resolve this in a timely manner.

I don't know his background other than he was found running loose and a lady found him and kept him for 2 weeks trying to find the owners. When she couldn't, she brought him to the human society and he was there for a week. Somebody trained him to sit, shake, sit pretty and walk nicely on a leash. He is normally very mellow and easy going but when he gets his mind made up that's it. He's a fiery red-head!

Oh, I work from home so he's not crated during the day and he does fine. I just don't trust him out of my sight. But I do have to travel about 1 day every two weeks and will need to resolve this in a week.

I've raised and trained 2 therapy dogs so I know it's work and patience, but rescuing an adult is new to me. I really think he'd be a great dog if we can get over these challenges.

I will be calling my vet in the morning but thought I'd see if anyone else was up and had some ideas.

Thanks,

Dar

Most marking in a rescue resloves with in a short period, after their smell is around the home and the pecking order has been established, which may still be occuring between the BC and your new family member. creating is important, even in the day, and I suggest getting rid of the soft sided creat for a proper veri-kennel or wire create, one he wont beable to just, unzip. this will help the escapes, espically a wire create that you can, if have to, lock shut in a couple different ways. make sure the create is small enough to discourage the peeing.

Make sure the territory marked is covered with another scent, we use viniger and pepper and sprits the area. Try rubbing the new dog with a towel and then rubbing it over different pieces of furnature in the house to let him feel more secure with his scent being around. Yes you and your son need to be the higher rank, but your BC and the new dog have to decide on their own who is th ehigher ranking between the two of them, there may be arguments and some marking, the best thing to do to make the transition faster is, don't break up the fights, just watch to make sure no blood is spilt, and make sure which ever dog backs down, that you treat as the lowest ranking, pet him second, feed him second, everything, even if the second is your BC, other wise you the issues your having will just get worse over time, not better.

Good luck, and thank you for helping out those dogs abandoned by sociaty, its great to know both your dogs are rescues.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Man am I tired - it was quite a long night!. I finally had to box his crate into a corner with the door facing the wall so he couldn't get out.

I think he is quite unhappy with me - he started growling at my son today, but only if I wasn't in the room. Since this is supposed to be my son's dog, do I still keep him with me whereever I go? I have him on a leash in the house again so I can keep an eye on him during the day. And I've been trying to keep him off the furniture but whenever I'm not looking he jumps up.

Funny thing is he doesn't like to look at me. I think he gets I'm in charge. And I noticed my BC is finally stepping up to him. He hasn't growled at him but he gives him "the look" and will step between me and the new dog. I think there's some snarling in the near future....

I will get a crate today. Do you think I should put the crate in my son's room or mine at night? Right now it's in my son's because it's supposed to be his dog. Thanks for you help.

Dar

I fully believe in kids having dogs, but not dogs sleeping with kids, too much chance of something going wrong. But if your going to be createing him at night and he's not bothering your son at all, I would say let him sleep in there, it will help strengthen a bond. The growling at your son is the new dog trying to find his place, this should be expected.

Using the imbilical method (keeping the dog on leash at your side) all day is another good way to get your dog to realise your in charge, which I think he's getting loud and clear, now its time to show him so is your son. Start with getting your son to feed him, instead of you, have him get the dog to sit before putting the food down, and make the dog wait a moment before releasing him to eat, if he doesn't wait get your son to either intercept him, or pick up the food, put him back in his sit before putting the food down again.

Make sure your son plays with him, and that it is well established, that though your son is allowed on the furnature and on the bed, your new dog, is not. Make sure he sits before being petted, feed, given treats, put out, anything like that. As my vt puts it, sitting is the way your dog says please, and by saying please, they are being calm and admiting that you are the higher ranking 'dog', and so will your son be.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.