Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to feed 11 years old doggie with liver issues

Hello hello hello!

I am coming straight with a question. My 11 years old doggie of mixed breed was lately diagnosed with liver problems. Fortunately it is nothing that medicine couldn't fix, so we are on pills. They are working fantastically he is probably going to have to take them for the rest of his life. The whole situation made me of course take a long look at Charlie's diet. I decided to divide his meals into bought products (meat cans but from the higher shelf) and into home-made meals. And here my question comes into play. Liver diet - what products are good for a dog with liver issues? I read somewhere that vegetables especially broccoli and celery, rice, white light cheese, poultry and beef and white fish. Is this true? Can I use those products to incorporate them into Charlie's diet? Thank you!

Re: How to feed 11 years old doggie with liver issues

Welcome to the forum! The above questions should of course be put to your vet, who can give expert advice based upon the precise diagnosis (including blood testing, urine testing, etc.).

But as a general guide, it is best to avoid grains in dog food (some commercial brands often contain a lot, which can in itself sometimes cause heart or liver problems). Making your own dog food is a good option, as you can then be sure that there is sufficient meat in the diet. Carnitine and taurine are essential for a dog's diet and these will be abundant in good quality meat. Fish and vegetables will add variety on occasions.

The best page of advice I can suggest for you is this:

https://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Can...r_Disease_Diet

The page contains lots of helpful guidance about a suitable diet in such circumstances. Every best wish to you!