Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The seagull and the chip

The other day I was at the beach and while I was sitting at a picnic table I saw a seagull. I saw it had a chip in its mouth as well. It dropped the chip on the ground and pecked at it but wasn't able to make small enough pieces to swallow.
    Then it did something that absolutely blew my mind. It took the chip, dipped it on the water, left it in there until it was soft, then ate it.

I don't know if this would be using a tool but I was very surprised.
    Last edited by LPC; 08-20-2020 at 03:28 AM.

Re: The seagull and the chip

We are only now beginning to understand that other species have analytical intelligence (the capacity to try something, encounter a problem, then find an answer to that problem). The old fashioned idea used to be "Humans are intelligent, other animals are brute beasts which have no intelligence and can therefore be exploited". Science is now showing that humans are actually nothing special and many species have intelligence.

If this topic interests you, here are a couple of pages for you:

https://www.seeker.com/10-surprising...768440130.html
    and
    https://list25.com/25-most-intellige...arth/?view=all

I looked at the websites and I?m quite surprised. I?ve never known an animal could be so smart.
    Last edited by Caracal; 08-21-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Not only humans, but animals are so much intelligent, and they know how to eat their food in a right manner.

Quote Originally Posted by hamza_pd View Post
    Not only humans, but animals are so much intelligent, and they know how to eat their food in a right manner.
    I agree.