Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: My ranchu

My ranchu

This is carrots! My new ranchu for the 40 gallon. I got him a week and a half ago. I originally bought an oranda too, but it ended up with dropsy. I treated for bacterial with no success, and I couldn’t get any praziquantel (parasite med that kills dropsy causing parasites) in time because of COVID-19, he got bad enough to the point where his kidneys obviously weren’t functioning, so I had to euthanize him. Luckily, the little ranchu is doing great! I gave him a round of parasite meds as a precautionary quarantine measure. I am trying to come up with stocking ideas. Eventually, I’ll get another one so he has friend, but I’m waiting a bit till this whole pandemic dies down and everything. I’m also thinking about a few hillstream loaches or weather loaches for the tank. Looking for ideas!

This is the little ranchu. He’s sooo cute! I call him carrots.

Re: My ranchu

Lovely photos. I am sure that you will take great care of him. When the Covid crisis is over (when will that be?!), I think a friend for him would be a good idea - as you said.

Yes, once things settle down a little I really want to get him a buddy. I’m still considering a bottom dweller, but I’m unsure. I was thinking about a school of dojo loaches or hillstreams, but I’m a little afraid of overstocking (since the goldies will get 6-8 inches and make quite a bit of waste). I’m not gonna worry to much about that right now though. I really want to change the scape up a little and get it a lot more heavily planted. So far the little ranchu hasn’t cared about the plants (he hasn’t even bothered the hornwort), so I wanna make it really heavily planted, maybe make some java moss trees once the java moss grows out.

Looks like a cute little fish :)
    I couldn’t help but notice your location thing says you live in the Pacific Northwest. Do you live in a boat on the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Looks like a cute little fish :)
    I couldn?t help but notice your location thing says you live in the Pacific Northwest. Do you live in a boat on the ocean?
    No, I lived in Oregon at the time I created my account, but have since moved and was forced to rehome the little ranchu. She went to a wonderful home though. A lady with a 180 gallon planted goldfish aquarium took her. I am now in a different state with just my 10 gallon walstad betta tank.

Really? I have never been there before. Maybe some day I can get rich by training other peoples dogs and go there lol