Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Asking for help for my cat (resolved)

Hi.

First of all, I'm sorry if my message sounds strange but English is not my native language. XP

I have a cat called Hipsu and he has trouble with his teeth. I currently do not have enough money to pay for the treatment so I put up a small crowdfunding page in hopes to find some kind people to help.

More details can be obtained by contacting me via DM on this forum.

A desperate plead for sure, but so far, I haven't found anyone willing to help so I will try to reach anyone I can.

Even if you can't donate, spreading the word a bit would help tons.

Thank you for reading.

Direct link to crowdfunding site removed. Any member interested in donating is advised to contact the poster of this thread via private message on this forum and to check the identity and genuineness of the person concerned, also to verify any veterinary estimates, before making any donation. Genuine people will not mind doing this. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
    Last edited by LPC; 09-08-2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Third party fundraising link removed

Re: Asking for help for my cat.

Oh. If someone has better idea how to get help for this sort of thing, that info would be greatly appreciated as well.

Welcome, Oscar! I'm very sorry to read about your cat called Hipsu. We wish him well.

I've had to edit your thread, for reasons explained in the forum rules, which can be read here: http://www.animalforum.com/showthrea...80-Forum-Rules

I understand. Sorry for being so hasty with this.

In post no. 2 above, you asked for suggestions for other places to get help. I have a couple of ideas:

If you are on limited income, there are often animal charities which will treat your pet at reduced or even zero cost. For example, in the UK there is the Blue Cross, which offers veterinary care for just a modest donation (or even free). I don't know where you live, but perhaps it would be worth researching for animal charities in your country which offer free treatment or subsidised help with fees, for those on limited income.

You could try joining as many pet forums as you can find (there are lots) and starting a thread, asking for help. In that case, it is forum etiquette to introduce yourself first before asking for money. Also, please be aware that, because some scammers try to raise money via third party fundraising sites (claiming to have sick pets when they don't), some forums may disallow such a thread altogether. Forum policies vary.

You are more likely to have a positive response if you give the name, address and website of the vet involved, a scanned copy of the vet's estimate, etc.

Every best wish for Hipsu!

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post
    In post no. 2 above, you asked for suggestions for other places to get help. I have a couple of ideas:

If you are on limited income, there are often animal charities which will treat your pet at reduced or even zero cost. For example, in the UK there is the Blue Cross, which offers veterinary care for just a modest donation (or even free). I don't know where you live, but perhaps it would be worth researching for animal charities in your country which offer free treatment or subsidised help with fees, for those on limited income.

You could try joining as many pet forums as you can find (there are lots) and starting a thread, asking for help. In that case, it is forum etiquette to introduce yourself first before asking for money. Also, please be aware that, because some scammers try to raise money via third party fundraising sites (claiming to have sick pets when they don't), some forums may disallow such a thread altogether. Forum policies vary.

You are more likely to have a positive response if you give the name, address and website of the vet involved, a scanned copy of the vet's estimate, etc.

Every best wish for Hipsu!
    I'm from Finland and my name and location is on the crowdfunding page but I guess I really should do proper introduction when joining new sites. I'm not good at asking people money and I can now see why my initial approach everywhere was seen as spammy. I try to learn from this. I haven't heard of any local animal charities that could help and I was told that pet expenses are not covered in any income support that I get here.

I already did try to spread my message on some other pet related sites but if you just can, I'd like to hear what other websites you know.

All I got from the vet, I went to, was spoken estimate for the cost and they told me to check their website for the prices too. Guess I could call them and ask some kind of documentation to show. The estimate was between 400 to 600€ depending on how much they would have to operate.

The crowdfunding site I use now keeps telling me I should spread the word on Facebook. I don't like the idea of joining Facebook and while I'm willing to make a profile there too, I fear it may look scammy if fresh account immediately starts asking people for money. (Just like my first post here, I guess. XP)

I will not give up though. Thank you for your reply. It's good to at least see not all my pleads fall to deaf ears.
    Last edited by Oscar; 09-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.

I would make three suggestions to help your cause:

1. Ask the vet for a written estimate, scan it and include it as an attachment with your appeals;
    2. Contact animal welfare organisations in Finland and ask them what they know about possible sources of subsidised aid for veterinary treatment for those on limited income. I don't know Finnish, but I found this from a Google search: https://www.hesy.fi You could contact their advice line and ask about this.
    3. I'm afraid that I cannot list publicly any other pet forums of which I am aware, but you are welcome to contact me via PM if you wish.

PS. You are invited to go the introductions section of this forum to say hello to members. Feel free to add a photo of Hipsu if you so wish.

Every best wish to you!

Good news! I found a generous soul to help with Hipsu's condition.

I'd still like to thank you for your help too. Nice to see people were willing to help in other means too, if they wouldn't be able to offer monetary support.

Do I need to delete this thread no somehow or change the title to show that the case has been solved?

I'm delighted for you and Hipsu! No, this thread can stay. It will act as a reminder to others who may start threads based on third party fundraising sites.

Please come back and let us know how the treatment goes. Also, we would like to see a photo of Hipsu!