Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is scented or unscented cat litter better?

Many litter companies put all kinds of additives, chemical or otherwise, in litter to mask odors (not to eliminate odors, but rather to overpower them).

However, from my perspective as cat lover looking for quality effective and natural cat litter, baking soda, little blue dots, carbon, or special fragrances, are simply not appropriate for use in cat litter.

We do wonder why chemical fragrances are added to cat litters at all? Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Is scented or unscented cat litter better?

Possibly to attract cats to the litter tray in the first place. Otherwise, the only point in additives is to disguise or neutralise the smell. But overall, it is best to avoid additives if possible. The more natural, the better.

When I was a small child (a long time ago, haha!) and my family was quite poor, my mother used to use real earth in a tray. It worked.