Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Ran over a cat and dont know if reacted correctly (unpleasant story) advice please

Im sorry for writing this on here but ive been crying for the past 3 days because i dont know if i made a huge mistake.

Please stop reading if you dont want to read something unpleasant, i just please really need some advice/opinion even if its negative

3 days ago i hit a cat with my car (she ran out of a ditch next to a forest directly infront of my car and i wasnt able to stop (by hitting the brakes the front part of the car actually lowered))
    I was driving about 70kmh (43mph) when it happened. I drove back and stopped. She was still alive but when i picked her up she was totally limp. i put her down on the grass and stayed with her for a while. She just tried to take a breath once every few seconds but couldnt and she wasnt able to move. I didnt want her to suffer longer so i put her out of her misery by restricting bloodflow to the brain...i really tried to do it as painless as i possibly could. Then i put her body next to the forest she came from. The next day i had to drive past again (i live about 1 and a half hours away from the place it happened) so i carried her into the forest with a cat toy and some cat food(from my cats) and put a tshirt on her, so she wouldnt lie next to a road in the sun. Been trying to find an owner since than by calling the nearby houses, and making a forum post in the locar area(im from europe) ...just want to ask for forgiveness...if something like this even can be forgiven.

Now i read that i should have called the police and a veterinarian so the vet could asses the situation and i feel f++++ horrible. Im really affraid that i reacted the wrong way and that the cat could have lived. i feel really sad. i have 3 cats at home and i really love animals. I thought i was doing the right thing but now every thought of it is killing me.

Please answer if you can even if you just want to tell me that im a piece of s+++. If you want to ask anything im also prepared to answer

Im sorry i really didnt want to ruin your day...just dont know where to turn to
    Last edited by LPC; 07-25-2019 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Changed "cat" to "car" on line 5 of text