Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Healthier pets are naturally

Hello! I would like to discuss the topic of healthy nutrition of pets, as I consider this one of the most important aspects of pet's life.

As more of us are thinking about our health, what we are putting into our bodies and what we can do for prevention, so too is the trend in pet care.

There’s an old adage, “ You are what you eat and what you absorb.” The same goes for our pets. We get out of our pets what we put into them. Pets in the wild would hunt and eat their prey raw, consuming the internal organs first. The only grains they would eat would be the predigested ones in the stomach of their kill. The development of processed pet foods has compromised their natural diet and with this trend, there has been an increase in the number of “human” diseases our pets are suffering from, including arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, allergies and immune system dysfunctions among others. Our pets are now dying at younger ages despite advancements in medical technology.

As humans, eating only dried, processed and packaged food daily for the rest of our lives would be unthinkable. Yet, we often expect our pets to do that and live long and healthy lives.

The best choice for feeding our pets is a raw meat diet, balanced with vegetables and proper supplements. Depending on which source you look to, some advocate grains and some don’t. Cats and dogs are not grain eaters by nature. Increased incidence of diabetes in our domestic pets is thought to be related to the amount of grain in most commercial pet foods.

As well, an improperly balanced homemade pet food can be just as detrimental as a poor quality commercial food. Those not inclined to making their pet foods can choose from an excellent array of frozen foods on the market, some with organic sources of meat and vegetables.

The next best option for your pet is a completely natural food made from meats graded for human consumption, grains and vegetables with food-source chelated vitamins and minerals. Advertisers have done a great job to convince us of their quality pet food, but the more dollars that are spent on advertising, the less dollars go into the quality of the food. Interestingly, there are more regulations in Canada about what goes on a pet food label than what goes into the food.

“All natural” is the newest buzzword. Some foods claim to have “no preservatives” or “no preservatives added.” This often means that the company hasn’t added anything, but that the supplier of the ingredients chemically preserved them prior to sale and shipping. Without preservatives, the ingredients in the food start to break down very quickly. Vitamins C and E can be used as effective preservatives. Chemical preservatives are listed on label as ethoxyquin, BHA, BHT, propyll gallate or propylene glycol (a derivative of anti-freeze). Chemical preservatives have been associated with many pet health problems including skin disorders, behaviour problems, urinary problems, cancer and others.

Many people think that a good quality pet food is all their pet needs. This is the “100% complete and balanced” myth. Until we know everything about human nutrition, how can manufacturers claim to make a perfectly balanced pet food? If the food was perfectly balanced, our pets would not be suffering from nutritional deficiencies and related health problems.

Supplementing your pet’s diet with vitamins and minerals is absolutely necessary for good health. Our soil is depleted and the nutritional content in food items have suffered. Add to that pollution, stress your pet may be under, chemicals being injected into or put on your pet’s skin and it becomes easier to understand how illness starts. The daily addition of a good quality, well-rounded vitamin and mineral supplement to your pet’s food can make all the difference.

Beyond this, individual animals may require different

nutrients, herbs, vitamins and homeopathic remedies for their specific conditions. Natural substances help the body to heal itself in order to get at the root of the problem, not cover up symptoms.

After starting a pet on a new diet and supplement, their body may start to detoxify or “clean out.” Their skin and coat may look worse for a short time. There may be a stronger odour to the pets stool and urine and increased shedding or there may be nothing noticeable at all. It is important to be patient and allow this healing process to take place. Eventually, the result will be a healthier, more vibrant pet with brighter eyes, more vitality, a shiner coat, fresher breath and generally improved health..

By the way, I have made a research about the influence of food on the pet’s anxiety. Who is interested, you can check my latest post
    Last edited by IreneKot; 06-11-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Re: Healthier pets are naturally

A warm welcome to the forum! Please go to the introductions section of the forum to tell us about yourself and any companions animals you may have. We ask you to do this before making any further posts.

Regarding your current thread, I have a few comments. Firstly, you say that "The best choice for feeding our pets is a raw meat diet". This statement assumes that all companion animals eat meat! That is not the case. Rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs, parrots, budgerigars, etc. do not eat meat! So please do not generalise comments to cover all pets. Threads on this forum are read by thousands of visitors every day, some of whom have little or no experience of keeping a companion animals, so it is important to be accurate and cautious in all statements.

Secondly, I agree with you that a natural meat diet, augmented with certain vegetables and a little fruit, is more healthy for a dog or cat (or other carnivorous animal). However, the issue of giving raw meat is a controversial one. Some people do claim that this is more natural and healthy, but on the other hand there is the constant risk of ingestion of live worm eggs in raw meat. That is why many people cook the meat first, to kill off any worm eggs. Worm eggs are microscopic in size, so cannot be seen by the naked eye. Tapeworm infection is a particular risk.

Some caretakers of companion animals feed dry food, which normally has all the necessary vitamins and minerals added. Others feed wet food from sachets, which also has vitamins and minerals added. Many give a mixture of both (wet and dry) to their pets. I do not think one should be dogmatic about what is right. Each caretaker should make an informed judgment about what food is best for a pet - whether commercially prepared (wet, dry) or home prepared. A well balanced and nutritious diet, properly adapted to the animal concerned, is the important thing.

My own dog, Forgy, suffered from allergy to some commercial dog foods, as they often contain yeast and/or wheat. Anything containing chicken also set off his allergy problem. I think that this was because the chicken in commercial pet foods is usually poor quality and full of antibiotics. So in his case I grind all his food from human grade meat (as you suggest), then boil it thoroughly, adding some vegetables and a little fruit later in the process. I also add a special dog multivitamin and mineral tablet to his food every day, to ensure that nothing is missing. I also give him cooked fish sometimes (with careful checking for any bones first).

Thank you for your helpful first thread. I look forward to reading your next thread in the introductions section of the forum.
    Last edited by LPC; 06-07-2019 at 02:57 AM.