Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to get cat to stop using ferrets litterbox

Iíve had my ferrets for about two years now, and theyíve always had a litterbox outside the cage for when theyíre out playing. My cat (14, female) has one not too far away from this one, but far enough that it doesnít make a problem. About a month ago my cat started using the ferrets litterbox instead of hers which is extremely frustrating as itís much smaller, and she ends up getting it all over the floor and I have to clean it up every day. I also have a large bin full of rice for the ferrets to dig and play in, and she has started using that as well. DISCLAIMER: I know that when a cat starts going to the bathroom in weird places you have to take it to the vet, Iíve done this and sheís perfectly fine other than having a few extra pounds. She has no joint problems and can jump over the gate keeping the ferrets in my room perfectly fine. I keep her litterbox very clean so thatís not why either. Is there any way I can train her to stop using the ferret stuff instead of her litterbox? Itís annoying cleaning up poop off my floor and the ferrets canít play in rice anymore because I canít keep her out of it the cat has never had any behavioral problems or health problems before, is fixed, and is very sweet. I think Iíve given all the relevant info, but please ask if anything else might affect it

Super Moderator

Re: How to get cat to stop using ferrets litterbox

Welcome RuffledFeathers223

Quite the conundrum you have here.

It does seem strange that your cat has suddenly decided she doesn't want to use her own litter box. Typically there is 'something' which has caused the change in behaviour. You seem like you know quite a bit about cats, as you took her to the vet already. It is also great to hear that she doesn't seem to have anything wrong medically. Did the veterinarian mention anything about what could have caused this? Or what you could try now?

There are two other causes that come to mind for me. Firstly, has something changed at home? Any other new pets, children, people staying at home, a change in routine, etc. Otherwise, I've heard that when cats have a bad or painful experience, that can lead to them changing their behaviours. For example, if she once had any constipation or a painful experience occur whilst using the litter box, she may have associated the fear and pain of that experience with the litter box.

Thinking about how to fix this though is a bit harder. Would you be able to move her original litter box somewhere else? Or possibly get a taller gate to try to stop her from being able to access where the ferrets are? I'm not sure about how to train her to use her old litter box again. I found this article which may be of some assistance. It is a wikihow article, but I think the points are still beneficial. The article says to make the old areas unappealing and to try troubleshooting ways of getting her to use her old tray again. Hopefully, you find some benefit out of it?

https://www.wikihow.com/Retrain-a-Ca...the-Litter-Box

Hopefully, someone else may comment with some ideas of their own Ruffled. Best of luck trying to get her to stop using the ferret's box. Worst case, could you make the litter box the ferrets use bigger? That way the cat won't make as much of a mess, and if she is comfortable then sharing with the ferrets she may decide to leave their rice alone?
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.
    Click here for my blog: www.vetbag.com

Hello! Thanks so much for the article, Iíve been pondering what might have done it and itís possible that itís because we changed the cat litter we used around the same time she started this. We are going to try and switch back to the old litter, and if that doesnít work we might even get a bigger bag of the paper pellets to see if she just likes those. This litter change is really the only thing that has changed recently, and itís so strange because in the 14 years that Iíve had her, sheís done really well with all changes including new children in the house, new pets etc

Super Moderator

I would say that the changed litter material would be the cause then! Definitely go back to the old one if you can! It is weird how particular cats can be with the litter material, they certainly develop a favourite. Please let us know how you go getting her back to her original litter box. Would love to be kept updates
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.

Warmest greetings, RuffledFeathers223!

I see that you have found the likely cause of your problem, with the help of Wrax. Please come back and tell us the outcome, once you have gone back to the old cat litter.

Also, feel free to post some pictures of your ferrets and cat, if you have the time.

Hello everyone! I think we may have solved the problem!! I didnít want to update right away in case she went back to the old behavior but she seems to be much happier with her old litter! Hooray!!
    Also for those who wanted pics ❤️
    This is Squeaky Name:  1D242D97-FA97-4EC2-810F-6625EBCB2024.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  254.8 KB
    This is Noodle Name:  3A2AE631-6948-481F-A1D1-5E07BF46D16E.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  119.9 KB
    In order is Noodle, Nilla and Fizz Name:  FC081DBD-53BD-4367-9E8B-AC1851EFA6E8.jpg
Size:  431.5 KB
    And finally Mochi!Name:  14DF5D5A-68A3-4012-9F81-40407E6501B1.jpeg
Size:  185.9 KB

Delighted that the problem has been solved! Nice photos. Thank you.

Super Moderator

I'm so glad to hear this Ruffled! Thank you very much for giving us all an update :)
    Hi There, how are you?