Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Greetings Cat Lovers and Other!

Hello everyone, I am Roberta!
    I have been a cat lady my entire life but am considering getting a dog. Is there any truth to the myth that the two don't get along or will I be safe? I am from SC and please contact me by PM if you want to chat!
    Last edited by LPC; 04-28-2019 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Deleted phone number for security reasons

Re: Greetings Cat Lovers and Other!

Warmest greetings, Roberta! Welcome to the forum! Please note that I have removed your phone number, as putting it on a public forum could expose you to unwanted phone calls from people not related to this forum. Instead, I have edited the text so that members can contact you via private message on this forum.

Regarding your query, the answer is "It depends!" Some cats and dogs get on, some get on after a period of adaptation, some never get on. It also can depend in some cases on who is living the house first: the cat or the dog. But there isn't a simple "yes" or "no" answer, I'm afraid.

I currently have a dog, who gets on quite well with my mother's cat. On the other hand, when I was a young boy my parents had two cats. When we got a dog later, the dog barked at the cats and chased them until they jumped up somewhere high, out of reach. One cat was terrified and ran off after a few days, and subsequently went to live with neighbours. The other cat stayed and became friends with the dog.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you a clear answer. In the end, it comes down to several factors:

The character of the dog;
    The character of the cat;
    How long the original pet has been living in the home, prior to the second arriving;
    The dynamics of the early interaction between the two (best to introduce one to the other slowly, over a period, keeping in separate rooms if necessary in the early days).

I trust that the above will give you some guidance.