Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Hey !

Hey !

So, I got this, to ask people who know animals a question. Iím looking for a small pet, that can comfortably live in a 10 gallon aquarium OR a 12x12x12 terrarium

Super Moderator

Re: Hey !

Welcome dav1234

If I had a 10 gallon aquarium (37 litres) I think I would get a school of Neon Tetra's or Dwarf Gourami's. Neon Tetra's are good schooling fish, and are generally quite easy to take care of. Drawf Gourami's on the other hand are slightly more unique than Tetra's if that is more your thing. You might want to only get a pair of gourami's in a tank that size, as they are slightly aggressive.

If you want some more info on other fish for a 10 gallon this website may be helpful https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquarium...10-Gallon-Tank

If you didn't want to go for fish, then this article from the same website discusses some good pet ideas. https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/aquariums-pet
    Many of the small snakes and lizards may be a good option if your setup will allow for them. However make sure to read up on what is needed for taking care of reptiles as it can be slightly more complicated than people first think.

Anywho, hopefully someone else will throw in their opinions as well dav1234. Best of luck finding a pet, I would love to know what you decide to go with! Do you have other pets or will this be your first?
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.
    Click here for my blog: www.vetbag.com

Quote Originally Posted by dav1234 View Post
    So, I got this, to ask people who know animals a question. I’m looking for a small pet, that can comfortably live in a 10 gallon aquarium OR a 12x12x12 terrarium
    did you have any ideas for the terrarium pet, like what category... reptile, insect, rodent. lots of options there :D

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusLove420 View Post
    did you have any ideas for the terrarium pet, like what category... reptile, insect, rodent. lots of options there :D
    I’m really looking for smth that’s pretty simple and lives 5+ years. I’m getting a pet for college and those cages r the biggest size allowed

I’m really looking for smth that’s pretty simple and lives 5+ years. I’m getting a pet for college and those cages r the biggest size allowed
    i would say something like a goldfish then, very easy to care for, lives a long time, doesn't need much space, super cute. also you can buy a flower or a plant have it as like a 2nd thing to care for, plus it will bring some nice vibes to your room, i always have at least 1 plant. They have some cool sales at lowes and home depot sometimes if you go to garden section and ask or look around sometimes they have "clearence" plants that are dying so if you have a green thumb all you pay is a few bucks and can revive a plant.

best of luck finding something hope this helped :)

Cool Re: Hey !

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusLove420 View Post
    i would say something like a goldfish then, very easy to care for, lives a long time, doesn't need much space, super cute. also you can buy a flower or a plant have it as like a 2nd thing to care for, plus it will bring some nice vibes to your room, i always have at least 1 plant. They have some cool sales at lowes and home depot sometimes if you go to garden section and ask or look around sometimes they have "clearence" plants that are dying so if you have a green thumb all you pay is a few bucks and can revive a plant.

best of luck finding something hope this helped :)
    I really want something I can at least pick up, I had a Madagascar cockroach, but Iím looking for smth that will last me all the way through college

Super Moderator

I really want something I can at least pick up, I had a Madagascar cockroach, but I’m looking for smth that will last me all the way through college
    Fish are certainly not an option then :P

You could consider a mouse or a rat? I'm not completely sure if a 12x12x12 would actually be big enough, but I presume it might be for just one?

Another option could be a small frog or gecko? You'd have to see what is available in your area, but they could live in a relatively smaller tank.
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.
    Click here for my blog: www.vetbag.com

also not sure what the rules are for bird cages but you can maybe even look into a small parakeet or parrot, the only problem with those is they are LOUD, lol. so i think Wraxs' idea of small frog or gecko is really good. also maybe look into hamsters and gerbils they can make it in a pretty small space and usually live for a year or two depending on health.

actually never mind a 12 by 12 would be kinda small for hamster or gerbil. I still think some type of small lizard or maybe even another insect would be a good idea.