Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Are cats smarter than dogs?

The dog and cat both show different feature, physical capabilities, behavior, and different tricks to handle the same situation. Generally, people think dogs can be trained and shows love, affection towards humans, so they are more intelligent.

Re: Are cats smarter than dogs?

I think its up to us how we treat them and train them because i have 3 child 2 dogs 1 cat and all are caring and lovable. if i am depressed or sad or ill they will not leave me alone they will follow me continuously.

Super Moderator

Re: Are cats smarter than dogs?

I tend to agree with you jesser on this point. Our pets are likely able to recognise changes in our behaviour when our emotions change. For example, someone who is sad may not be as active. They take their dog for fewer walks, spend less time playing with them, and may overall have a change in behaviour. Their facial expressions may also be different from what their dog would think is normal. It's not far fetched to believe our pets can recognise this.

A study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4785927/ done in 2016 found that dogs can recognise the tone of voice to a face. They showed dogs two faces, one angry and one sad, and played the noise of a person speaking a foreign language. The dogs spent more time looking at the face which matched the cadence than the face which didn't. Here is a quote from the discussion section:

"These results show that domestic dogs can obtain dog and human emotional information from both auditory and visual inputs, and integrate them into a coherent perception of emotion"

I've made a very basic summary of the report if anyone is generally interested. The report was far more in-depth than what I've perceived.

So, linking back to my original example. If a person is displaying behaviours different to normal, and have facial expressions of being sad (that we now believe dogs may be capable of recognising), the next step is to see if they recognise this behaviour as an emotion.

It's a fascinating idea to think that a non-human animal may be able to differentiate emotions!
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.
    Click here for my blog: www.vetbag.com