Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Elephants

Unhappy Elephants

Sadly I believe these wondrous, majestic & peace loving beings will have been exploited out of existence in the wild within 50 years by human greed This gives an idea of the love & respect they can hold for one of another species & I understand a book has been written on these herds:

Elephants Travel 12 Hours To Attend A Vigil For The Man Who Rescued Them

October 12, 2016

In March 2012, Lawrence Anthony, a conservationist and author known as "The Elephant Whisperer", passed away.

His family spoke of a solemn procession of elephants that defies human explanation.

For 12 hours, two herds of wild South African elephants slowly made their way through the Zululand bush until they reached the house of Lawrence Anthony. The formerly violent, rogue elephants, destined to be shot a few years ago as pests, were rescued and rehabilitated by Lawrence.

They stood around the house in an apparent vigil for two days, and then dispersed.

"They had not visited the house for a year and a half and it must have taken them about 12 hours to make the journey," Lawrence's son Dylan said. "The first herd arrived on Sunday and the second herd, a day later. They all hung around for about two days before making their way back into the bush."

But how did the elephants know Lawrence had died?

"A good man died suddenly," says Rabbi Leila Gal Berner, Ph.D., "and from miles and miles away, two herds of elephants, sensing that they had lost a beloved human friend, moved in a solemn, almost 'funereal' procession to make a call on the bereaved family at the deceased man's home."

"If there ever were a time, when we can truly sense the wondrous interconnectedness of all beings, it is when we reflect on the elephants of Thula Thula. A man's heart's stops, and hundreds of elephants' hearts are grieving. This man's oh-so-abundantly loving heart offered healing to these elephants, and now, they came to pay loving homage to their friend."

Re: Elephants

Yes, Lawrence was (still is, only not on this earth!) a great character, with a strong affinity with wildlife, especially elephants. I seem to remember reading a different thread in his honour back in 2012, but I'm not sure whether it was on this forum or a different one.

Re: Elephants

They are such beautiful animals and i really hope that our impact on them doesn't end in their extinction. I read an article a few days ago that was looking into animals that can organically beat cancer and elephants are one of those creatures, their body has adapted to destroy cancer cells instead of multiplying them like humans do. it's super amazing. My only hope is that elephants will find a way to survive the comings years as humans become more and more destructive of our earth. In my opinion elephants will still live for a very long time into the future, hopefully thousands more years. They will have to evolve with the changing times just like their ancestors but the good thing is animals have instinct on their side, they will always follow their heart and soul to guide them and that is the best anybody can hope for. peace out great post i love elephants woot woot :D