Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Animal protection is the most noble cause

Kaichen, if at any time you have a problem with your account (e.g. password reset email not being received), then you should contact Wrax or me and we can reset your password for you. Please do not create any more duplicate accounts! Also, kindly do not write about log-in matters on a thread, as they are private and not really for the public domain. You should contact us via private message - see the box near the top of each page. Thank you for your cooperation in these matters.

OK

sorry about that

Super Moderator

Kaichen, thank you very much for your reply. Now that you have elaborated on your initial post your point of view is a lot clearer.

Reading back my reply now, you are correct. I did confuse these abilities as intelligence in my example. Thank you for pointing that out for me. I do still believe animals show their own forms of intelligence. Instead of sharing some of my own examples, here is a link for an article by TheConversation. http://theconversation.com/are-anima...they-are-18986

I agree with you on this next point. People who do these atrocious deeds should certainly face repercussions! The way your initial point sounded to me was different. I thought you were saying that the only reasons animals shouldn't be condemned for these actions was because they are unintelligent. I made my point because I didn't believe animals 'unintelligence' was the reason they kill. I would say it has more to do with the reasons you shared in your last post. Overall I do agree with your point, I just think it needed some more depth and explanations.

Again, I will agree that the situation with animals is possibly worse as a whole. Your initial point again I think needed some more explanation. But your reply in that last post has cleared things up. :) Thanks again
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.
    Click here for my blog: www.vetbag.com

Maybe I didn't express myself very clearly. Perhaps my English is not good enough.

I modified this article again (see my next post below), hopefully making it more understandable. You are welcome to point out anything that's odd or not clear.

I have read the articles you recommended. And I totally agree that animals have intelligence, but I still don't think their intelligence level is as high as adult humans'. I think many animals' cognitive ability is equal to a child, which makes them as innocent and adorable as a child.

Dogs, for example, are widely thought to have the same intelligence level as a five-year-old child. And they do behave like children, and they seem to treat the people keeping them as their parents.

So I'm outraged when I see dogs being abused. In China, many people keep dogs just for fun. They treat their dogs as toys, so when they get tired of it, they just abandon their dogs. Some Chinese people even eat their own dogs.

Firstly, humans have a moral obligation to protect higher animals.

Higher animals, such as mammals and birds, are born with an advanced nervous system which can enable them to feel. Therefore, like human beings, higher animals also have the right to live and not to suffer abuse.

Secondly, animals are innocent, but humans can be good or evil.

Animals should be forgiven for killing others. Animals have low intelligence, so we cannot require animals to consider other individuals' feelings. However, adult humans are intelligent enough to be able to understand and consider other individuals' feelings. Therefore, if an adult human has killed or abused a higher animal, this human is evil.

Thirdly, humans must fight against cruel nature.

Nature has no empathy at all, but human morality is empathic. Therefore, human beings must fight against cruel nature and protect every higher animal.
    Last edited by kaichen568; 04-11-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Super Moderator

I appreciate that you have been willing to adapt your view, that's a trait many people don't possess!

Your new post has some modifications which make your view clearer :)

It is sad to hear that people in China do treat dogs like toys, willing to abandon them when they get bored. This makes your love of animals quite admirable kaichen :)
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.
    Click here for my blog: www.vetbag.com

actually my view has not changed. i modified the article so that my view is more clearly expressed.

those who abuse animals are really evil. if i have power, i will definitely make those people pay for their crime, in an an-eye-for-an-eye way.

Kaichen, I will not add much more to what you have written, except a few thoughts about whether intelligence is always a good thing. You seem to think that animals are inferior in some way to humans on account of intelligence. You have made a comparison between some animals and children.

One wonders, however, whether intelligence is always a good thing, or indeed whether it is sometimes positively dangerous. Just think about:

1. World wars throughout our history, with endless suffering and death, not just for those fighting but also innocent civilians, including children. Humans are the only species to fight wars on such a large scale. Warfare on an extended scale is unknown amongst animals - except perhaps for the odd localised scrap between packs of wild animals;

2. The threat of mass annihilation of all life in the event of nuclear war. Who created nuclear weapons of mass destruction? Humans, so-called intelligent humans;

3. The world is already starting to show signs of warming as a result of so-called intelligent humans causing excessive pollution.

So we should be very careful before making rash judgments about humans being "superior" in terms of intelligence. Animals are not ruining this world in which we live; humans are! Intelligence is not really intelligence if it is not ethically based. Raw intelligence can actually be dangerous and foolish....hence not really intelligence at all.

So, personally, I would never say that animals are less intelligent than humans. They act according to instincts, in harmony with nature. We would do well to copy their example, not the other way around!

I am not in any way criticising what you have written above, merely adding some extra thoughts about intelligence being a questionable thing. Humans are not "superior". They are just a different species of animal. Indeed, in terms of our being less in harmony with nature, being warlike, etc. I would wonder whether we are perhaps inferior in some ways.
    Last edited by LPC; 02-09-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Intelligence itself is a neutral thing. It can be used to do a lot of things, both good and bad. I think we can’t deny human’s obviously higher intelligence just because they use their intelligence to commit evil or suicidal behaviors - which they are indeed constantly doing.

When I say animals are less intelligent, I’m just presenting a fact but not disrespecting them. Having less intelligence doesn’t mean being inferior or something. Children, mentally challenged people, and those suffering from dementia are obviously less intelligent than average adult humans, but they do deserve to be respected, loved and protected.