Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Curious

Curious

I'm curious how do you count a dog's age? also on what age should dogs start training?

Super Moderator

Re: Curious

By counting a dog's age, do you mean if you don't know their age already? As far as I know, there aren't defined events which happen at certain ages, and it can be quite difficult to determine an exact age. There is lots of guessing.

You can work out general age groups by size and development. Say, a puppy is going to be smaller than an adult dog and their adult teeth won't have fully developed. A dog only a few years old will likely be quite energetic, be a size typical of the breed and shouldn't have any obscure lumps or joint issues that would be evident in older animals. If you are looking at young-middle age dogs than it can be quite difficult. Nothing really denotes an age difference between say a 2 year old and a 6 year old. Both are still deemed quite young, but the younger dog may just have more energy. Also note that these examples are super vague, but do hopefully get the point across.

The Michelson Found Animals Foundation have an article with some more information here if you would like to read it. https://www.foundanimals.org/how-old-is-my-dog/

When you ask about starting training, the younger the better. Young pups who are still with their mothers are already learning about how to be a dog. Mum will teach them how to behave and act, and they learn off their litter pups how to act. A prime example is if somebody says that their dog used to get pushed around when milking, and is now very timid and not aggressive for food.

Young dogs can be taught the basic training commands quite early. Sit. Stay. Gentle. Come. How to walk on a leash or halter. How to behave around people/dogs/other animals. Once they know these commands than you can start teaching them more complex commands if you wish. This seriously depends on how quickly a dog learns and how good of a trainer you are.

If you want to do more serious training around other animals, really the only requirement is that your dog has received all their vaccinations. If you go earlier your dog may risk contracting a preventable disease. Obviously, if you wanted to begin doing more complex training, a prerequisite is that your dog knows some of the basics. You cannot run before you can walk.

The old saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is not all that true. You can teach any dog a new trick. The only difference is that you will need to be far more persistent and patient with teaching them.

Hope this helps :)
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.
    Click here for my blog

That's a very helpful answer, Wrax! I'm not sure what ryanolivas is really asking. But I suspect that he asking, "How do you calculate a dog's age - to a human equivalent?" If that is the case, ryanolivas, this pages explains things well: https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/how-to-c...-your-dogs-age

Wrax, thank you very much for all your recent helpful posts on this forum. This is much appreciated.

Super Moderator

Oh, that would probably make more sense than how I interpreted it. :) Thanks LPC
    Hi There, how are you?
    I run a blog aimed at helping pet owners learn about their pets. It's only small at the moment, but the content is honest, well researched and hopefully informative. If you are interested in visiting it, please do. I would love to hear your feedback.
    Click here for my blog