Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Any expeireince with portosystemic shunts

Anyone have any experience with portosystemic shunts? The vet thinks my puppy might have it. She is a 14 week old yorkie-mix and up until she started having seizures the other day she appeared to be healthy and had zero symptoms of any illness. She is currently taking a med for portosystemic shunts and hasn't had any symptoms since she went on it. She is also able to walk again and as of yesterday was even running again, she is going to be on the med for a couple weeks but I am afraid once she goes off of it the symptoms will return.

I have been reading up on it and I see a list of symptoms leading up to the diagnosis that she has not ever had, I know each medical case is different, and I would like to hear from others who has experienced this diagnosis with their beloved pets.

Also if she does have this, I am concerned with the outlook if your pet had surgery for this how did they do? Or were you able to go the diet and med route?

Re: Any expeireince with portosystemic shunts

I hope that you get some replies from people with experience of this particular condition. However, as you correctly state, each medical case is different and ultimately you must rely on the assessments of vets.

I understand your concern about surgery, but in this sort of case it might be the only option for a permanent solution. Here are some helpful pages for you:
    https://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/...Treatment.aspx
    and
    https://pets.thenest.com/seizures-yo...iers-5191.html

Every best wish for a successful resolution to your dog's condition! Please keep us posted.

Re: Any expeireince with portosystemic shunts

Thank you. :)