Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Adoption Experience Opinions

Hello! I am new in the forum and I could really use your opinions.

I have finally decided that I am ready (both mentally and practically) to adopt a puppy. However, I am facing a dilemma. My nearby shelter has had a huge issue with housing the rescued dogs and cats so most of them are currently housed and cared by volunteers at their own homes and some of the larger ones are in an area far from the city. Since the situation is as such, the advertise the pets in "Pets for Adoption" sites and pages, with information about their personality and pictures. My problem is that I don't know if I want to adopt a pet that I haven't met and spent time with. To me, online posts and the like feel like choosing from a catalogue. I don't feel very comfortable with that, morally speaking.

Does anyone else feel that way? What were your experiences when going through the process of adopting a pet for the first time?

Thanks in advance to everyone who answers! :)

Re: Adoption Experience Opinions

Hi. I would not adopt a pet that I haven't met. It's like with humans to me, you don't click with everyone. Maybe you can ask for a test period if you see someone online that you like? If there are no better options. If there are any puppies available at all in your city I would go and look at them first though. Personally I would also wait for the ''right'' puppy to come along instead of taking the most convenient one of the ones available to you at the moment. I.e I would not be in a hurry since it's such a permanent decision, especially if none of the ones available doesn't feel right for you. Just my thoughts.