Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cheeky Mouse First heat of mammals

I have a general question concerning the first heat of female mammals. When female mammals come into their first heat, are the males already attracted to them or does it take a while until the males go after them?
    Last edited by Sam9; 11-10-2017 at 01:47 AM.

Re: First heat of mammals

For a definite answer, it would depend on the following:

Which mammal is concerned;
    The age at which the animal reaches first heat (earlier than average, average, or later than average);
    The distance between the female and any males nearby.

In general, I would think that the hormonal changes during first heat would attract males, if they are in "smelling distance". If you are worried about unwanted pregnancy of a female cat or dog, I would suggest keeping her always with you during the first heat (and later you might wish to consider sterilisation).

By the way,

Do drop by the introductions section to say hello to our community and tell us about yourself and your pets.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post
    For a definite answer, it would depend on the following:

Which mammal is concerned;
    Just a general question about mammals, not a specific one.

The age at which the animal reaches first heat (earlier than average, average, or later than average);
    Does it matter?
    I mean, aren't the males attracted to the females because of the heat, not because of the age of the female?

The distance between the female and any males nearby.
    Well. I just mean whether the males would be attracted to the female when it is in heat the first time, independent of the distance between them. So let's say they sit next to each other.

In general, I would think that the hormonal changes during first heat would attract males, if they are in "smelling distance". If you are worried about unwanted pregnancy of a female cat or dog, I would suggest keeping her always with you during the first heat (and later you might wish to consider sterilisation).
    Ok. It's just a general question to inform myself. So no matter the age, when the female mammal is in heat the first time the male is attracted to it?

By the way,
    Do drop by the introductions section to say hello to our community and tell us about yourself and your pets.
    I did. Thank you! And thanks for your help! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam9 View Post
    Does it matter? I mean, aren't the males attracted to the females because of the heat, not because of the age of the female?
    Yes, you are right: in most cases the age will not be important. It is the strength of the smell which is most important. However, if a female goes into heat at a more premature age than average, it is possible that the heat might be less or more intense than average, the first time around. After all, the body is adapting to hormonal changes for the first time. That was really the only reason I mentioned it.
    Last edited by LPC; 11-11-2017 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Clarified post a little

Blog Entries

Hello Sam9,
    I may be late on this post, and you may be gone....
    But from what I have experienced with dogs, as soon as they come into their first "heat" or "season" they will be ready and eager to mate. Now that is usually too young for them to be bearing a litter....but of course that may depend on species. Certainly it is too young for a dog, let's say, as a dog will come into first "heat" around six months old. That would be like a twelve year old human mating and giving birth! It can be too much strain on a still-growing system.
    The heat cycles will follow a similar pattern throughout (let's say a dog's) life. A dog is only literally/physically able to mate in the very middle of their cycle. The cycle is usually three weeks. Count to the middle of those weeks, then mark about five days around the centre number (two days on each side). That is when there is a good chance of getting pregnant.

I think cats operate in a similar way but check that. Other species....I am unsure but do some research. It's important as unwanted litters of young have a sad destiny one way or another...

Males will get the scent and follow a female all the way through her cycle. They will run great distances, go without food and water, park themselves at your gate....etc. The female will sometimes be run to exhaustion if she is allowed to get out free. She will usually reject the male's advances in quite an aggressive way until those five days or so when she is ready. Then, she would mate with anything!
    Last edited by Tobi; 11-11-2017 at 06:16 PM.