Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Free Medication

Free Medication

Hi everyone,

I'm super new here, but I am sort of desperate looking for a place to donate my medication.

I lost Scooby Sunday to a heart tumor (completely unexpected), and it broke my heart... but I have so many expensive medication that he was prescribed and that I never got a chance to give... The ASPCA isn't taking medication, and neither are my vet or the rescue organization I contacted. I'm willing to ship them (in the US), only cost of shipping. It would break my heart all over again having to throw them away.

Please note: only contact me if you have a prescription for these for your dog (or if you know an association that might want them). They are prescription pills, and they can certainly do more harm than good. In fact, send me a picture of the prescription if you have it...

I have:
    - Prednisone 20 mg (22 or so tablets, expires 3/1/2019)
    - Tylosin 150 mg (only 5 left)
    - Proviable forte (this is actually just a probiotic, 5 capsules left)
    - Carprofen 100 mg (40ish left)
    - Gabapertin 400 mg (20ish left)

Thanks..

Re: Free Medication

That's wonderful that you are willing to do that others. I would have thought that there must be an animal shelter somewhere that would appreciate these medicines, but giving it to private individuals is also a good idea, provided (as you say) that their vet has prescribed the exact same medicine at the same strength.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! I am very sorry to hear about the unexpected passing of Scooby. I send you my heartfelt condolences. Feel free to start a thread in Scooby's memory in the Animal Memorial section of this forum, if you wish. Also you are welcome to contact me via private message or via the contact page of my website if you feel in need of support.

Blog Entries

Re: Free Medication

I am also sorry about the passing of Scooby, and send you my heart-felt condolences. I know what it's like to lose a special one.
    It is very kind of you to think of donating Scooby's unused medication. Those things would be quite expensive, so it may help someone else a lot. I like the way you are being very careful too.

When my girl passed, she also had unused pills left. Some completely unopened and very fresh. I took them back to our vet but they wouldn't accept them. They said it was against their policy. They told me they would have to put them in the bin. It seemed such a waste to me, as I was sure some charity could use them. You could get in touch with organisations such as Soi Dog (www.soidog.org) and there are many other dog rescue charities in other countries, who might require them (?) There may of course be red tape and policies which prevent them from receiving posted medications from abroad, but it's worth asking.