Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Has anyone gotten pets for therapy animals?

    Therapy animals are a big part of my life. Dealing with paranoia, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. I've always used animals as a way to help me deal with my problems. My first was a pomchi named Leilah, and then I had 5 rats, now my current dog Sandy. How about you guys? Have you ever owned any therapy animals?

  2. #2

    Re: Has anyone gotten pets for therapy animals?

    I have no personal experience of this, but there is a good article here: http://www.wideopenpets.com/6-types-...d-for-therapy/

  3. #3

    Re: Has anyone gotten pets for therapy animals?

    Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post
    I have no personal experience of this, but there is a good article here: http://www.wideopenpets.com/6-types-...d-for-therapy/
    Every animal I got was for therapy pretty much. I was curious to know how many others on this forum might do the same, but I guess no one here really has. Therapy animals are different from service animals though, and don't really need any special training. My boyfriend's dad owns a service dog, but it's a stressful job and with the wrong training you get a anxious dog...

  4. #4

    Re: Has anyone gotten pets for therapy animals?

    My friend applied for her dog to become a therapy dog, and after much paperwork and some training, she is now officially a therapy dog. There is no pay involved, just time and love to help people out. I think it's a great idea!

  5. #5

    Re: Has anyone gotten pets for therapy animals?

    I too don't have any personal experience.What does it mean??

  6. #6

    Re: Has anyone gotten pets for therapy animals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paw Campus View Post
    I too don't have any personal experience.What does it mean??
    A therapy dog can be used to take into schools and hospitals to spend time with people who need the companionship. They're also used for people who have mental issues (anxiety, autism, etc.) Since a therapy dog is used for the emotional wellbeing of a person, you can have them in houses that don't allow pets too. My dog Sandy is a therapy dog but not for other people so she didn't take any tests. She's for when I'm home alone because I get anxious. If I feel upset or nervous she'll sense that and lay down on me until I'm calm again. It's honestly one of the coolest things to me because it's like a therapy session- just with a furry buddy! Any animal can be a therapy animal. Cats, rats, mice, rabbits.

  7. #7

    Re: Has anyone gotten pets for therapy animals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandysdogpack View Post
    A therapy dog can be used to take into schools and hospitals to spend time with people who need the companionship. They're also used for people who have mental issues (anxiety, autism, etc.) Since a therapy dog is used for the emotional wellbeing of a person, you can have them in houses that don't allow pets too. My dog Sandy is a therapy dog but not for other people so she didn't take any tests. She's for when I'm home alone because I get anxious. If I feel upset or nervous she'll sense that and lay down on me until I'm calm again. It's honestly one of the coolest things to me because it's like a therapy session- just with a furry buddy! Any animal can be a therapy animal. Cats, rats, mice, rabbits.
    Oh Really.Thanks Sandy for Your Useful Info.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top