Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Stupid advice from rescues

As the title says, the RSPCA, one of the biggest of not the biggest UK animal rescue charities gives out some really really stupid advice, or at least they have with ferret related things which makes me wonder. Have any of you had any dumb advice from animal rescues and or charities?

Here's my two, the first one being a more recent story:

Not too long ago, only a couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine on another forum had found a ferret so she took him home and rang the RSPCA to see of they could take him off her hands since she had a rabbit and didn't want him killing it, they didn't take it off her so she asked for advice on what to do. They told her to release him where she had found him which was just outside the end of her garden where the rabbit was, obviously this advice is ridiculous since ferret were domesticated to hunt rabbits. The woman decided not to take the advice thankfully, and later on in the day, a man from a ferret specific rescue came and collected the ferret from her.

Another time, a friend of mine wanted to adopt a pair of ferrets from the RSPCA and well, didn't end up having the ferrets she was going to have because of the inspector the RSPCA had sent out to check his housing for the ferrets was correct. They wouldn't let my friend have the ferrets because he didn't have hay in housing for the ferrets to eat.
    This story really got me miffed because ferrets don't eat hay, they're obligate carnivores and can't even digest plant matter.
    Ferrent to Nancy, Vinnie, Willow, Whisper, Jimmy, and Bandit the EU polecat.
    Come and see what they're up to here - https://www.youtube.com/c/FrolickingFerrets

Blog Entries

Re: Stupid advice from rescues

Yes that is pretty stupid advice! You'd imagine the RSPCA to know more about animals...(?)
    I haven't received any silly advice exactly from them, but one day I calle dthem about a dog howling from a shed, which I had heard regularly for hours on many days. I just asked if they could check it out.
    I told them this shed was on spare ground, and gave them the grid reference and a fine detailed description of the location, so that no-one who followed that particular little lane could miss it! I told them "There is no house there. It is a collection of sheds behind a 15ft high corrugated iron fence."
    So....they wanted the house address and number (what??) I repeated what I'd told them a minute before, and they repeated that they couldn't come out unless it was an actual house and address.
    This back-and-forth lasted another few minutes. Then I gave up. They suggested I try the Dog Warden...
    Fortunately later I did discover that a farmer owned that bit of land, kept sheep and trained sheepdogs. He had the dogs kenneled there. Unknown to him, I watched him once through a hedge, training one of his pups, and he was good with the little dog and gentle. I watched him with his dogs also, and all the dogs looked cared for and very happy.
    That must have been a noisy one!
    So I found out there was no cruelty happening.
    But what a limp response from the RSPCA!

RSPCA should ensure that the people whom they hire have the passion and love for animals. I wonder why these representatives got the job? It really is disappointing considering the way they answered your report. I think that there should be a quality assurance on the calls that they've received on a day to day basis.

Blog Entries

Although ...yes...I had a negative interaction with the RSPCA on that occasion, plus one other time, when I called them about a wild deer in distress....I don't want to completely run them down. There was a case recently in UK where animals were left without adequate food and water for 2 weeks, and the RSPCA did a good job there, and their intervention most likely saved the lives of one cat and a dog.

Stupid advice from any organization (Your Family Doctor e.g.) is obviously regrettable however, I doubt if any circumstances are that black& white! Was the advice given really understood? Were the circumstances behind the request for advice clearly explained? Assuming all questions could be answered with an honest "Yes... absolutely", then a mistake was made either out of careless; ignorance, or perhaps a presumed knowledge of circumstances were involved. While I am not making any excuses for bad advice from animal rescue organizations, or anybody else, I do have to admit that I make "less than good" statements periodically. I know that I am not perfect. Are you?

Finally, and most importantly, if the advice you were given was that far away from the truth, then presumably you reported the individual accordingly so that it could be addressed? Sadly, so many people complain about poor service, but are not prepared to do anything about it..so the poor service is perpetuated to the frustrations of others. Always draw attention to poor advice because the solution may simply be some additional education for the individual involved.